• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Steering column 1973 Dodge coronet station wagon with hardy disc and spring question..

Moparjack 489

Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
I think how it should be, but just to make sure , that’s normal by this steering column?
Just can pull the steering wheel about 1/2“ to 3/4“ to me if I try to pull the steering wheel to me …

Second question : If it’s normal , what stop it to not can pull more to me, just the small splint in the coupler?

I don’t think so , because that’s not safe … May it’s get the stop on a other part of steering shaft or bearing or so????

Like to send a video , bit only pictures a lot here …any idea how I can put a video there for make it clear what I mean ?

Sounds like the snap ring is not in the groove.
I was thinking he is in the groove , when it looks like that ?

IMG_2990.png

IMG_2991.png

If the lower one that goes below the bearing is not in place or missing it will allow the shaft to pull up. Where exactly is the shaft moving? Lower one is on the left. Two grooves in the shaft.

View attachment 1693148
Thanks man, I install a new ignition switch , so I remove and reinstall the left ring too, but I was thinking they also in the grove . Here the picture !
Can it be only on 1973 steering column with the rubber puck and the spring on the shaft in the engine room are normal that’s the shaft can pull a little to yourself if you take the steering wheel and pull on it with two hand and may about 10 kg of weight ?
Maybe to make the driving more comfortable without any vibration , so the spring and tension on the spring on the shaft make this ?
It’s just may 1/4“ inch you can pull the shaft , if you let the force off, the shaft goes Automaticly back in „ normal“ position.

Last picture you see I bring the lower „ ring“ in the grove , picture before you see also that I must pull the shaft too me to get the roll pin back in .
First two picture where I can pull the shaft , and goes back automatic ( because the spring in engine room on shaft

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3023.jpeg

IMG_3026.png

IMG_3027.png

IMG_3028.png

IMG_3029.png

IMG_3030.png

Auto Transport Service
Back