• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OVER CENTER SPRING INSTALLATION QUESTION 70 - B BODY

superbirdtom

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
So like a total fool I installed the pedal system without putting in the center pin and the over center spring- its a complete resto so dash is in but seats I left out until very last ----so i can get under there laying on my back i managed to put in the pin and i slipped the spring into place but now need to pull the spring into place on the clutch pedal spring mount. Is their an easy way ?? thanks.

Pull the spring back out, use your floor jack, hook one end to the axle, other end to the lifting cup... Stretch the spring slightly, insert washers between the coils, install the spring... When you step on the pedal the washers should fall out... If not a pair of needle nose vise grips will help...

Actually I just found this....

How to Install Overcenter Clutch Spring in the Car

Last edited:
Pull the spring back out, use your floor jack, hook one end to the axle, other end to the lifting cup... Stretch the spring slightly, insert washers between the coils, install the spring... When you step on the pedal the washers should fall out... If not a pair of needle nose vise grips will help...

Actually I just found this....

How to Install Overcenter Clutch Spring in the Car
aha only problem is w all those washers i wont b able to reinstall it as the car is done - it barley goes in without the washers. i think ill try hooking up the spring to the rear pin then take a come along and attach to a seatbelt bolt - ill use a strong wire to attach to the come along hook so when i get it in place ill just cut the wire.
at least i know it has to be stretched- some boob told me it just lays in there, obviously not- thanks for the pix!!!! and the great response. ill let u know how i fare!

I have removed the spring on a couple cars using the washer trick, so I am sure it will work for installation as well.

It does work. Position the washers properly so you can get the spring in with the washers in place.

If you loosen the pedal assy fro the firewall the clutch pedal will drop further to the floor. You can slide the spring right on.
Doug

If you loosen the pedal assy fro the firewall the clutch pedal will drop further to the floor. You can slide the spring right on.
Doug

I have removed the spring on a couple cars using the washer trick, so I am sure it will work for installation as well.
the spring is out of the car i managed to slip it back in. ill post pics of my Mcguyverism

the spring is out of the car i managed to slip it back in. ill post pics of my Mcguyverism
LOL well the washer trick wont work in this situation or this year of pedal assy. just getting the spring and pin in place i had to use superior mopar cunning. - and I wasn't going to loosen the pedal assy the cars all put together - so you all can see what i did- it worked great spring stretched a half inch and presto!!!!

IMG_6485 (2).jpg

IMG_6484 (1).jpg

IMG_6483 (1).jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back