• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB p4007612 20:1 manual steering worm gear

Nirvana

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a 20:1 worm gear to upgrade my factory manual steering box.

Around late 90’s to early 2000’s when these were made they were known to be bad batches. I had one of these blow up on me (the metal u shaped channels break and the balls fall out, steering jammed, - scary as hell) and encourage you to not use one. Call Firm feel and they can tell you all about it. Apparently there was only one maker of these regardless of whose label was on the box. Apparently it was so bad Firm Feel quit selling them as part of their regular offering. It wasn’t until around 2015/16 or so (if memory serves) that they found a new manufacturer of these and became comfortable selling them again.

I’m sure I’ve recounted some of the time frames wrong here but I hope you get the point.

Call firm feel and ask about it. They will be able to help. You can also buy one of their newer ones.

Good luck

Around late 90’s to early 2000’s when these were made they were known to be bad batches. I had one of these blow up on me (the metal u shaped channels break and the balls fall out, steering jammed, - scary as hell) and encourage you to not use one. Call Firm feel and they can tell you all about it. Apparently there was only one maker of these regardless of whose label was on the box. Apparently it was so bad Firm Feel quit selling them as part of their regular offering. It wasn’t until around 2015/16 or so (if memory serves) that they found a new manufacturer of these and became comfortable selling them again.

I’m sure I’ve recounted some of the time frames wrong here but I hope you get the point.

Call firm feel and ask about it. They will be able to help. You can also buy one of their newer ones.

Good luck
This is first I have heard of this serious potential problem.
I bought my 20:1 refurbished box from "Steer Gear" at Carlisle 7/07/07.
I wonder if they are still in business to contact.
With very few miles on mine, it sounds scary.

This is first I have heard of this serious potential problem.
I bought my 20:1 refurbished box from "Steer Gear" at Carlisle 7/07/07.
I wonder if they are still in business to contact.
With very few miles on mine, it sounds scary.
Mine gave some notice. Not much mind you. You’d likely feel it binding at first. If so don’t drive anymore. Steer and gear appears to be around. You could also phone firm feel for clarification and to see if you should be concerned. Not trying to scare anyone, just sharing my experience.

The date on the box for my quick ratio unit from mopar was 2007. Car didn’t start getting driven until 2017 ish. It happened with less than 500 miles on it I’d say.

I agree, I have driven both and prefer the 24:1..

That’s the date range to be concerned with.

another thing - After having the 20:1 I’d rather use 24:1 instead. 20:1 steering is STIFF/HEAVY when parking

Auto Transport Service
Back