• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pirate Jacks Front Disc Issue

James HUTTER

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a power brake disc brake system from Pirate Jacks for my 1970 Road Runner.. The installation of the rear discs went great, no issues. Having major issues with the front brakes. Calipers will not fit over the rotors. It appears that the rotors are not sitting far enough back on the spindle. Ther is a gap of over 1/2" between the rotor and the back plate. After putting on the nut, it is even with the end of the spindle and wouldn't even come close to allowing a cotter pin. Anybody else have this issue?

Take rotor off. remove inner bearing and see if it slides all the way back on the spindle

I just did a Pirate Jack front disc conversion a few weeks ago. No issues at all , ( 1966 Coronet btw )

Take rotor off. remove inner bearing and see if it slides all the way back on the spindle

I just did a Pirate Jack front disc conversion a few weeks ago. No issues at all , ( 1966 Coronet btw )
How did you position the seal?

Hard side of the seal goes out as installed in the rotor
Thanks for your help and maybe I'm an idiot. So you install the bearing inside the rotor then the seal with the hard side out? Then you have to pound the seal over the bearing to get the rubber seal around the bearing?

post a picture of the seal youre using

The rubber lip doesnt seal over the bearing, it seals over the step on the spindle

Here you go. I assume this does not go like this?

pirate 1.jpg

take the seal out of the equation temporarily .........

do the bearings fit over the spindle?

tapered ends to the inside of the hub? >I<

More Pictures. Rotor wont go back any further than this and bearing is all the way into the rotor. Calipers will not go on. Its like race is not down far enough into the rotor.

Pirate Jacks 1.jpg

Pirate Jacks 3.jpg

I bet the inner big race isn't all the way in. clean behind it and look carefully, if there is a space under the race, the race needs to go all the way in. Find a race installation kit (Aluminum discs) and tap it in. If it is stuck, take the race out from the other side with a brass drift and check for burrs etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back