• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering fluid question

guardian1fox2

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
New to me 62 fury. Looked in the power steering pump and the fluid looked low, (new pump and lines) so I wanted to add some. Couldn’t tell what color it was, so I grabbed power steering fluid from local auto store. Filled it to bottom of neck…and now after driving it’s going everywhere and idk where it’s coming from lol. It’s also red…which makes me assume he used atf in it…so now I’m wondering if I messed up mixing them…and also I guess I’ll just let it eat until it leaks enough out? It wasn’t giving me any issues I thought I was being proactive

My gut says... you over filled it and it's coming out the top.

Step one... find the leak.

I wouldn't worry about mixing fluids at this point. It's not that sophisticated. There are situations where you can destroy seals... but not after JUST adding fluid, more like after months or even years. Nevertheless, I would consider flushing it and going with one type of fluid when you're done dealing with the leak.

My gut says... you over filled it and it's coming out the top.

I wouldn't worry about mixing fluids at this point. It's not that sophisticated. There are situations where you can destroy seals... but not after JUST adding fluid, more like after months or even years. Nevertheless, I would consider flushing it and going with one type of fluid when you're done dealing with the leak.
How would I go about flushing it? Thanks!

If things are already oily, you may need to wash the engine and belt areas down, degrease them, let things dry, then do your test. You want to see where NEW power steering fluid is coming from.

If you're lucky, you may have a loose fitting that simply needs torqueing.

The driveway test is looking for the leak of a running engine, while a partner turns the steering wheel back and forth stop to stop. If you cannot find the leak this way, you may have to road test again. :(

Last edited:
How would I go about flushing it? Thanks!

You can flush it, but if you have a leak, it may still be there after replacing the fluids.

To flush, turn off engine, disconnect the return line to the pump and place it into a bucket. Then, turn the steering fully left and right, stop to stop, and repeat until empty. This is easiest when front wheels are lifted off the ground. At some point, fluid will stop squishing out the return hose. You can hook it back up and refill as desired.

Took some pics, think I found leak. Looks like it’s coming from bottom of pump? I don’t see anywhere else, everything is clean. Also, this PS pump on this 66 charger engine has a vented cap, vs this aluminum looking one on mine. Is the vented needed? Also I guess PS fluid is just red cause it’s all red lol

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

You can flush it, but if you have a leak, it may still be there after replacing the fluids.

To flush, turn off engine, disconnect the return line to the pump and place it into a bucket. Then, turns the steering back and forth, stop to stop. This is easiest when front wheels are lifted of the ground. At some point, fluid will stop squishing out the return hose. You can hook it back up and refill as desired.
I say that I had no leak prior to adding fluid btw. Think it was just low from installation. Also, I guess I should’ve added while running? Cause I had added it to the bottom of neck and after all the leak it’s still at neck

There are a couple different thoughts/approaches.

One way... you disconnect the return line (low pressure line) from the steering box and point into a catch container (that's where the fluid will pump out). Start the engine and poor in new fluid as the pump pumps out the old fluid into the catch container. Once the new fluid is flowing out... shut off car and reconnect hose. The part that people don't like is... you HAVE to keep the new fluid flowing in carefully so the pump doesn't run dry. This makes for a complete flush. Bad side, you lose a portion of new fluid and some people don't like to have the risk of hurting the pump. The odds of hurting it are extremely low... you're not twisting the steering wheel, staying at idle, and pouring in new fluid at a solid rate. Also, technically requires two people.

Another way... disconnect the high pressure line from the pump and the return line from the steering box. Let both hoses and the pump drain completely. Used compressed air into the high pressure line to push out the remaining fluid out the low pressure line. This is "safer" but does leave a tiny bit of old fluid in the system.

Auto Transport Service
Back