• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering gearbox... OK or replace?

GassMann

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I put a rebuild kit into my 1966 Charger steering gearbox, but the kit did not come with bearings. I have tightened the gear shaft adjusting screw down but still have some slop. I am unsure if the screw should be adjusted with the engine running or not. The image is before rebuilding when I was pulling the car apart. With the engine off, the screw is as tight as it can be with no back lash, but it was adjusted with the engine off. The manual says "Start the Engine" which I think is to run fluid through and get air out, but it does not say turn off or leave it running. It just goes straight into adjustment.

What does the mighty brain trust say?

1725723158813.png

One thing I would suggest is putting a new pressure hose on it.
Flush the pump and hose and then connect it up.
With the wheels off the ground be careful if you've moved the centering valve at all.
The steering wheel can spin violently either way if the centering adjustment is off.

Have you bled all the air out by taking the weight off the wheels and turning the steering wheel back and forth about a hundred times? I would do that before starting it

And also I remember burning my arm adjusting it when I did this on my Polara so doing it while running sounds right.

Last edited:
Should be running.. There are good youtube videos that show how to do it.
Search on Chrysler Master Tech Power Steering Checks and Adjustments for your year..

Those steering gears were never without around 10-15 degrees of play from new so you are probably about as good as it gets. One thing.....When you first start the engine after having one of them torn down and re assembled, don't have your arm through the steering wheel in case it is not set up properly. It can break an arm or fingers if the pressure valve is not centered. A factory service manual is your friend here. If you can't live with the right / left play, you may have to upgrade to a Borgeson steering gear. They are spendy but IMO well worth the money and will give you a new car feel.

Have you bled all the air out by taking the weight off the wheels and turning the steering wheel back and forth about a hundred times? I would do that before starting it

And also I remember burning my arm adjusting it when I did this on my Polara so doing it while running sounds right.
Thanks RJ... I have run it quite a bit. I am fairly certain all the air is out. But burning your arm... yea. That sounds like a running engine adjustment. I will give that a shot. :thumbsup:

Should be running.. There are good youtube videos that show how to do it.
Search on Chrysler Master Tech Power Steering Checks and Adjustments for your year..
Boy, do those videos bring back memories from my years in the USAF as an AC mechanic. "BING"... change the slide... "BING"... change the slide. :lol:

Seems to me the adjustment was just tighten down and then back off 1/4 turn. It was all a waste of time for me anyway because all the steering slop turned out to be it needed a lot more caster.
I went to Jet engine mechanic tech school at Chanute AFB in 1974

In case you replace it.
[IMG alt="ckessel"]https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/data/avatars/m/21/21001.jpg?1460704561[/IMG]

ckessel

Well-Known Member​

Local time9:50 AMJoinedApr 23, 2015Messages6,624Reaction score9,256LocationLos Osos Ca.
According to what I read on the "other" site, Firm Feel was sold by Dick. If they have no inventory to hook you up with, there is also Red Head[ redheadsteeringgears.com] out of Washington. They have a very good rep especially with the truck gents. Also there is Steer and Gear[ steerandgear.com] in Ohio. Don't waste your time putting a "reman" unit in from a parts store.

Auto Transport Service
Back