• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PST 20:1 new steering very tight..

icetech

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
So, i decided to go manual and ordered a new 20:1 manual box from PST, it showed up today and on the bench i couldn't move the input shaft by hand, putting on the coupler (bigger diameter) i could turn it but it was very tight til it got near the end of each direction then it loosened up..

I have never owned a new steering box before, is this normal til they break in or should it be smooth and easy by hand? I emailed PST but no reply yet.. thanks guys

Tight is better than loose, No need I bet to tell ya that!
My old power one turns wih barely any effort.. but 100k miles prolly made it like that.. i overthink stuff and expected this to turn easy. or at least smooth and even through it's travel

Tight is better than loose, No need I bet to tell ya that!

@hunt2elk is that the box you used Joel????
Yes, I have 2 of the 20:1's, one on each B-body. And one of their 16:1's on my Duster.

Yes, I have 2 of the 20:1's, one on each B-body. And one of their 16:1's on my Duster.
Do you remember if they were crazy tight on the bench before you put them in?

ahh.. did a little research and seems they are made to be a bit tighter in the center since that's where they spend most of their lives... my stupid brain making up **** to worry bout about again :)

I picked up a new 24:1 manual box from S&G last year at Carlisle. I was very tight as you describe. I had to put a glove on to get enough grip to turn it. Once it was installed it drove very nice... No more dead spot in the middle.

I picked up a new 24:1 manual box from S&G last year at Carlisle. I was very tight as you describe. I had to put a glove on to get enough grip to turn it. Once it was installed it drove very nice... No more dead spot in the middle.
Awesome, thanks for that :) And i wish i knew why my brain is like this.. i have to be stressed about something 24/7 i didn't used to be like this and i kinda hate it..

Do you remember if they were crazy tight on the bench before you put them in?
They were tight when unboxed just as you described, but perfect once installed.

ahh.. did a little research and seems they are made to be a bit tighter in the center since that's where they spend most of their lives... my stupid brain making up **** to worry bout about again :)
I disagree, it's a fair question, and evidently not one often asked it appears.

Auto Transport Service
Back