• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for owners of General Lee Chargers

Bad B-rad

Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
This question is for the owners of General Lee replica Chargers, ones that are on the road getting miles put on them. (in the public eye)
Do you get a hard time for the car having the Confederate's flag, or just get smiles and thumbs up?
And has people's attitude changed, in regards to the car, recently?
I would guess with current events, thing may not always be positive.

I am NOT trying to debate a persons personal view of what the Confederate flag stands for, or its place in history, I am just wondering how this affects one of the most famous cars, and beloved characters of TV history.

IMO the General Lee, represents the (awesome) car from the TV show the Dukes Of Hazzard, (nothing more) and is NOT a symbol of hate, racism, or anything negative.(again IMO)
Its a symbol of a GREAT tv show that was a good part of my childhood.
I would think most people would feel the same way, but with Mississippi removing it from the state flag, and NASCAR, and so on.
I am wondering how people react when they see your General?

I've never had a negative reaction to mine, and I've had people of ALL kinds take pics. It's always about the show and the nostalgia. I haven't had it out in the last couple weeks since it's not all that much fun with a heat index near 100, but the minute the weather breaks out she comes.

Charged440, I would think, most everyone would react the way you have described.
Or I would hope so.

Doing some investigating, for my own interest, I came across this poll pertaining to the flag:

A Politico-Morning Consult poll of June 2020 shows that 44% view it as a symbol of Southern pride while 36% say it is a symbol of racism.

so do the other 20% think its a symbol of the Duke boys? LOL

This has nothing to do with the question, I thought it was neat, it may have been posted here before but this is first I have seen it.
2012-07-19-dukes_hill_valley.jpg
dodge-charger-dukes-to-the-future-is-not-your-average-general-lee_1.jpg

I cannot relate to recent feelings, but about 8 or so years ago we had John Schneider's #4 General Lee in our shop for about 3 weeks. It was the one eBay that sold for a million dollars but was a bullshit bidder. We resolved some brake issues, tuning problems, wiring issues, and vacuum headlight problems. We drove it around locally and it was well received. 90 % of the people who found out about it and came to the shop to see for sure were black. There were never any negative remarks, or comments. Just love for the TV series and Mopars. That 511 Hemi sure sounded sweet. I can remember stepping into it and sounding the Dixie horn and hearing the people cheer.
Bo's General Lee on the roof, not just General Lee.

I the end I think most folks know the difference between a rebel flag meant to offend and one that is part of pop culture.

I would agree, but IMO it's inclusion on the Mississippi state flag, was part of the states history, and not at all intended to be an offensive statement. (just an example)

From watching the little bit of tv that I can stomach, I see Lady Antebellum, changed there name, to lady a. The freaking DIXIE CHICKS, are now just "The CHICKS".

I just figured GL owners would be given a hard time, when they were out enjoying there cars.
Very glad to hear not everyone has lost there minds.

I the end I think most folks know the difference between a rebel flag meant to offend and one that is part of pop culture.
And today forward, even that mentality is changing for the worse!

GLs are not my sort of thing....nothing to do with the flag....just been done to death IMO...there are not many 68 to 70 Chargers over here...but I bet 50% plus of them are Generals!!. But a friend has a 318 one....hes never had an issue driving it here in the Uk.....but hes decided not to drive it for a while until this blows over a bit. Hes put a lot of work into it and money (everything Charger is three or four times the price here)....and the thought of some brainless moron keying it end to end whilst hes not looking scares the crap out of him...a very sad state of affairs imo.

Times are changing.

THAT IS SO TRUE, when I was a young lad the most popular go to put down was to call someone a "bundle of sticks"
It in no way meant they liked members of the same sex, most of us still though girls were gross so we weren't thinking about sex yet.
Now its like saying the N bomb.
The other go to put down, that was VERY hard for me to not say, out of habit, was the "R" word meaning mentality handicapped.

I love the Dukes, and I might enjoy owning a GL, but my love of 68-70 B-body Mopars, trumps my love of a Lee replica.
I have a 69 Charger in 3x green, some may say a perfect car for a GL, but I still rather have a 3x green Charger.

Last edited:
Im from germany. I like the show and have no problem with the flag. :)
Actually i guess i've first seen a 69 charger on dukes of hazard. Now i own one. :D

On a related subject, my brother in law is 75% built on a 69 Plymouth police car. He has some concerns........

Not to raise a stink here but there was another whole thread about the general lee and a guy wanting to cover the flag. The climate out there today is nothing like it was 20 years ago. The group whom are against ANYTHING Confederate would look at the car as a symbol of hate.. Even though you are just a fan of a childhood show. I assume here that they wont care. To them its a rolling Confederate Monument. FFS they are marching in Stone Mountain Georgia to try and get the carving taken off the mountain.. It took the creator 11 years to complete the carving.. But because some people think that the rest of the country OWE them something for **** that happened 200 years ago none of the existing stuff will be safe. I have issues with all this bullshit. Best MeMe I have ever seen to descibe the whole BLM thing is the one below.
d1ly9tjwap451.jpg

On a related subject, my brother in law is 75% built on a 69 Plymouth police car. He has some concerns........

Concerns pertaining to the police reform (movement) or driving around in a marked cop car?

BeepBeepRR, Personally I agree with you, and that's why I posed this question, I feared that it may be next to impossible to enjoy a General Lee without people who don't even know you or I passing judgement, and DEMANDING it be removed.
They want to rewrite and alter history, what is next George Washington being removed from the dollar bill?

BeepBeepRR, Personally I agree with you, and that's why I posed this question, I feared that it may be next to impossible to enjoy a General Lee without people who don't even know you or I passing judgement, and DEMANDING it be removed.
They want to rewrite and alter history, what is next George Washington being removed from the dollar bill?
I think we are headed into a downward spiral as a human race. There was a group of Highly armed black folks marching on stone mountain. A white guy was driving past them and stopped to ask if they were with BLM. The leader of the group says F no we ain't with BLM. Apparently they were Black Panthers. Now not that them being armed was a big deal I mean there are people all over the place armed and ready. However the leader of this group says F-that white boy etc etc.. So my take from that was that "They as a group hate all white people" and don't think any of them give a **** about you or where you stand on the subject of race. The guy just simply asked a question and then their true beliefs came out. I don't think they knew the new s crew could hear them talking to the guy so they spoke freely. And well you heard them talking about all whites. I have several friends whom are black guys. One owns a Roadrunner and the other had 2 GTX's at one time. They are truly decent people..

Auto Transport Service
Back