• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R-12 gas

Bad B-rad

Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
I was working for a guy the other day, when his father, the owner of the company stopped by, and we started to chatting.
Anyway long story short, after talking vintage cars for a bit, he asked if there was any value to R-12?
I know it is not super easy to find, but honestly don't know the value.
He claims to have three or four 20lbs sealed tanks of it, and said if I could find a buyer we could split the money.

So first I figured I would ask what its worth, and if anyone needs it.
Next would be for me to lay eyes on the tanks, and try to verify they are sealed and still full.
(I am not interested in becoming an R-12 dealer, but I don't mind passing along a deal, and maybe making a few bucks, what I am trying to say is I will ask here, and a few others I know who MAY want it, but beyond that I really have no other outlets for it)
Anyone here need this stuff, or know someone who does?
I plan on getting my A/C going on my 1969 Dodge, but I was going to retrofit to the modern compressor, and refrigerant.
Thanks for any help.

I am 60 miles north of NYC, FYI as I am not sure if this is somethin that would requires "special" shipping and handling costs, or can be shipped at all.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Typically the tanks are 30 lb... And use to sell for upwards of $400... The demand is now much lower... I still see asking prices in the $3-$600 range but they rarely sell for that... If it's 30# I'd ask $250 & likely take $200... If it's really 20# I'd probably go $200 & $150..

Yep, demand for R-12 continues downward, but still valuable. R-22 has gone through the roof.

I’ve stockpiled a few cases of 134...because it’s going away too.

That is a GREAT Idea on the 134A, I need to take your advice, and get some!!!!
My buddy has an A/C machine, and due to the recent cars he has dismantled, the tank is currently full, but that is probably a mixture of refrigerant and oil.

My buddy has an A/C machine, and due to the recent cars he has dismantled, the tank is currently full, but that is probably a mixture of refrigerant and oil.
It won’t be the money maker r12 was because the EPA has not mandated reductions in production of the gas as they did with R12. But vehicles produced in 2021 and beyond cannot use r134. R134 may even decrease in price over the next few years due to over-supply. But I just didn’t want to go through that bullshit again (r12) for my own cars, so I bought a small stock to last until they burry me in the ground.

I was also going to get 134A, for personal use not an investment.

Thanks for the tips, I have not laid eyes on the tanks yet, he said they look like BBQ propane tanks.
I recall as a young lad my grandpop had a few, I think they were blue, with a round metal wire handle/ guard for the valve.

How many car systems can be charged from a 30lb tank?

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lbs per car approximately.

Check the laws. You may not want to get caught buying or selling without a license.

The last few cans I got a hold of were free. The demand is so low it's not worth much at all.

I'd be interested in a can. PM me once you get the details figgered out.

If he has a decent machine, the oil and any other contaminates, should have been filtered out.

The last jug I bought was $1,000 at sams club, now people try to give it to me.

You really don't want to get caught with that amount unless you have a HVAC license and a log book of what amount went in and came out when, Big PIA Used to have to deal with that crap. And that was R-22.

I no idea what machine he has, I have only used it to draw vacuum on two systems when we did engine swaps, I know it has two small like 24oz size plastic bottles, on the side, and the tank in the center of the unit, Maybe one of the two small bottles are for oil collection?
I think one is for the UV dye.
I have never used it to fill a system.

Check the laws. You may not want to get caught buying or selling without a license.

Its funny but true, and sad, they would make people get a license to own refrigerant, but we can buy as many long guns as we wish!!LOL

That may also be why so many guys just crack the lines and let it bleed out, cause if you get caught storing it, you be in trouble.

Here in PA you get caught doing that it is a 10K epa fine. No joke and that's 134.

I hade to get a license for a system we had on a ec-130 Huge AC system from prob the early 70's. Held almost 22lbs of R22. It would come back empty or close to it and you had to document where it went, how it happened etc. Glad I don't deal with that crap any more.

A full 30 lb can weighs about 36 lbs. 6 lbs of can and maybe the cardboard box.

Yes, I have section 608 and 609 licenses. :D

Its funny but true, and sad, they would make people get a license to own refrigerant, but we can buy as many long guns as we wish!!LOL

That may also be why so many guys just crack the lines and let it bleed out, cause if you get caught storing it, you be in trouble.
There is a legal difference between buying a long gun and buying freon.

Auto Transport Service
Back