• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rad ID help and T stat miracle

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
Working on my 70 GTX, 440 auto to get it on the road. Pulled the rad this afternoon to inspect for serviceability. Doesn't seem like the correct rad to me. It fits alright but the part number is way off from correct. Has a 4032887 on tank. Everything is connected right. Anyone got a clue what this rad is from?
DSC01885.JPG
DSC01886.JPG
DSC01887.JPG

During the removal I took the top hose off the rad and the T stat housing broke off the pump housing in the hose. This still had anti freeze in it until I drained it.

DSC01888.JPG
DSC01890.JPG

So I give it the treatment for removal. Half a dozen raps with the brass hammer and liberal soaking with Deep Creep and let stew for a while. Come back and low and behold it comes off with bolts intact.

DSC01891.JPG
DSC01893.JPG

I sprayed all the other bolts down at the same time and gave them the treatment and all of them came loose too. Better buy a lottery ticket.

DSC01889.JPG

DSC01892.JPG

Looks like some good old full of minerals water was used. You should have seen the inside of my 318 block from that crap. You would think that people would know. Glad that you were able to get it apart.

I'm thinking so. I was truly expecting to twist some of those off. I took my time and worked them a lot before they came loose. The driver side T stat bolt was the toughest, as it only turned about 1/8 turn starting out. You can bet your *** they will all have anti-seize on them going back after I run a tap through all the holes.

Looks like a 70-78 dodge truck or van. V8 with 2 Barrel

Looks like some good old full of minerals water was used. You should have seen the inside of my 318 block from that crap. You would think that people would know. Glad that you were able to get it apart.

It makes me wonder how much crap there is in the block, that’s pretty ugly…

Seems most was setting on top of the T stat. After removing the water pump housing and looking into the block it didn't seem any worse than what you would expect for a car with 126000 miles that's been setting for about 50 years. Can't say the same for the engine Internally, as it shows a bad case of lack of maintenance. 1/8" thick black sludge on everything. I'm debating on whether to just go ahead and pull it out of the car now.

Auto Transport Service
Back