• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RB Engine assembly numbers and how they relate to production sequence

EdK

Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
I have a question I think someone may know? I'm wondering about the numbers stamped on the top pad on the RB engines. I understood they are stamped when the engine was assembled. Were the engines then installed on the line in a similar order to their assembly? For example I have heard that there was an average gap of a couple months from the casting date to the stamped assembly date. Were the engines then assembled into the chassis shortly after their assembly date or could they sit and be used at a later date in that model year? In other words does the engine assembly date roughly correspond to the actual build date of the vehicle?

I am trying to learn how this worked to find a correct, or as correct engine as I can for a 64 D 100 HPP truck. I know it's not a B body but they came off the line at the same time and I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here that may know. That said these trucks were not assembled the same, I have heard the chassis were pulled from the line at some point before the body was installed and taken to a special shop where the chassis mods were done before being finished. If anyone has any other info on how these were put together I'd really appreciate hearing from them!!

Thanks, Ed

Max has a factory replacement motor. Correct casting number. No numbers on the pad. Darrell Davis told me a correct motor was one that was built between the casting date and the car's assembly.

Max has a factory replacement motor. Correct casting number. No numbers on the pad. Darrell Davis told me a correct motor was one that was built between the casting date and the car's assembly.
Max? How do you determine the assembly date on the trucks? I just know its early since its just under 15,000 of approx 150,000 made that year.

If your truck has the data plate somewhere, the cars are under the hood on the left side and the older cars have them on the top of the left door post under the windshield post. The four digit number on the bottom left should be month and day of assembly.

When the Indianapolis foundry finished casting the block they would often store those castings outside, some for months, until the engine assembly plant needed them.

They were then shipped for machining and assembly then shipped to the assembly plants.

I did a fair bit of trucking auto parts from '98-'01 for GM. I'd haul fasteners into the Tonawonda, NY assembly plant and drive past stacks of raw engine blocks ready to be finished.

Just In Time production methods changed things as the plants received now their raw materials in a more timely manner eliminating long term storage of parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back