• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear glass trim clips.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Way back when I installed the rear glass of the Road Runner I installed the clips in their out of box form. Now I have an issue with them rusting out and a few are totally gone. The 2 lower pieces of trim have no clips at all now. Should I have painted them I installed them in 2016? The car is not inside but is covered by a nice car cover. I have to remove the rear glass to replace the clips. Should I paint the clips before installing them for a little better rust protection?

Last edited:
I doubt paint will help. But they must have been subjected to some serious moisture to have rotted away. Mine had seen 5 winters of snow, ice, salt and water and were still relatively intact - including the screws!

In the later years whenever I washed the car I would always tuck a corner of the chamois down into the bottom corner and drape it down the quarter. The capillary action would suck all the water out of that bottom channel.

I would agree.. To the point the water must be just collecting in the channel under the glass. I will pull the rear glass and see what's going on with it. I will probably paint the clips anyway for a little more insurance.

I have honestly contemplated filling the whole channel with seam sealer. Problem solved !!

I have honestly contemplated filling the whole channel with seam sealer. Problem solved !!
I thought about that too lol. I guess I have some FIGGERIN to do. Also thought about plastic dipping the clips. Not sure that would do anything. Its just weird you see 50 year old clips hanging in there but the repo ones are crap.

I wonder if there is a diy plating that could help, like zinc or something. The name is escaping but hopefully the idea is coming thru.

I just finished a reply to another question here and I'll give the same answer: EverBrite coating.
Mike

Way back when I installed the rear glass of the Road Runner I installed the clips in their out of box form. Now I have an issue with them rusting out and a few are totally gone. The 2 lower pieces of trim have no clips at all now. Should I have painted them I installed them in 2016? The car is not inside but is covered by a nice car cover. I have to remove the rear glass to replace the clips. Should I paint the clips before installing them for a little better rust protection?
Form of protection rather than bare or have them coated or plated

I thought about that too lol. I guess I have some FIGGERIN to do. Also thought about plastic dipping the clips. Not sure that would do anything. It’s just weird you see 50 year old clips hanging in there but the repo ones are crap.
**** quality part

Auto Transport Service
Back