• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recycling old license plates

New York's Finest? Apparently not. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Those plates go back to the prison to be recycled...that's the problem!!!

In Oklahoma we transfer the plate to the new vehicle of like kind or retire it without turning it in.
We do too but if you junk out a vehicle, you get a refund for the unused time when you turn them in.

I have plates and registration from the early 80’s that I can transfer to one of cars we now have.
Also have my plate from 1966. Just might see if I could put my plate from 1967 on the Charger. That might not work.
Have plates from the family vehicles going back to some of the 50’s.

Last edited:
I have plates and registration from the early 80’s that I can transfer to one of cars we now have.
Also have my plate from 1966. Just might see if I could put the plate from 1967 on the Charger. That might not work.
I have a plate from 69 on my Coronet.

I found a plate that was spread across two years, 70/71. I called Tallahassee and was told I could use it on my 71, as long as it said 71 somewhere on the plate. I had to send it in for examination and it was approved.
A friend of mine has a 65(I think) GTO. He found another one of the plates that covered two years and he was denied because the plate that the state had listed was different. So he has been fighting with the state over the issue

Auto Transport Service
Back