• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relay on the ashtray housing

Darth Ooten

Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
I've got the gauges out of my 1968 gtx and thought I might as well give the wiring a good once over while it's apart. When I removed the ash tray housing I noticed a relay attached to it. I can't seem to find information on it. I know the tube is for the ashtray light but can anyone tell me about the relay? Thanks
1000004637.jpg

Interesting ..

Sensor to shut off the ashtray light when closed? Have no idea if that was something that was available back then.....

Back in the days, factory used squared flashers being heavy duty and used for the hazzards, while the round are regular loads for turning signals.

Later, round replacements were used for hazzards and you can difference from regulars since they got a green band all around for easier identification… aside the PN of course.

Ok that makes sense. The other connected flasher relay is a newer one for led bulbs. Always thought the way it was connected was weird. Thank you
Usually (but not always) the round flasher was a Tung-Sol (brand name) used for the turn signals. Usually (but not always) the 4--way flasher was square/rectangular and was the heavy duty version was a Signal-Stat (brand name) becsuse it was flashing 4 bulbs instead of two.......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back