• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace SS voltage regulator with electronic regulator

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 69 RR 383 4 speed with electronic pertronix distributor. I read here on the forum that the SS voltage regulator I have all run above 15v so I would like to replace it with an electronic voltage regulator which runs between 14.1v and 14.5v. I found the regulator and connector on Amazon (see links below). The connector has 2 wires, the green obviously goes to FLD, the blue goes to blue on the SS regulator, but this also has a blue with with tracer on it too. There is three wires that go to the SS regulator, how would I connect the connector which only has 2 wires? Would I connect the blue and blue with tracer to the blue wire on the harness? I want to get this right so I don't fry anything. The blue tracer wire on the SS regulator goes to ING, the other blue wire goes to the ballast correct? Anyone have a diagram to show how I would connect it? Thanks for the help!

ELECTRONIC REGULATOR

HARNESS

You need an isolated field ( two field connections) alternator to use a chrysler electronic regulator. I would check the voltage at the ign terminal on your regulator, and if it is lower than the battery voltage, it will overcharge.

You need an isolated field ( two field connections) alternator to use a chrysler electronic regulator. I would check the voltage at the ign terminal on your regulator, and if it is lower than the battery voltage, it will overcharge.
I do have another alt with two FLD connections, I took it off and replaced with old thinking it was the problem. I can put it back on, How would I wire it? Thanks!

That regulator you posted is typically for 1970 and newer cars. If you do convert over to that style, there is an adjustable version available, I believe on ebay.

B+ to the center prong and one field on alt, and a wire from the side prong to the other field.

Like this

Screenshot_20240822_071330_Google.jpg

That regulator you posted is typically for 1970 and newer cars. If you do convert over to that style, there is an adjustable version available, I believe on ebay.
Yes, I saw that one, maybe I will get it instead.

B+ to the center prong and one field on alt, and a wire from the side prong to the other field.
OK, I THINK I got it...I'm not good at electrical. So center pin to ING, Blue tracer wire to FLD and Green to Other FLD (other pin), is this correct?

Last edited:
The spade connector with the two wires that connects to the ign terminal of your old VR Is the ignition source in the drawing below. Start at the spade connector and follow the drawing.

Screenshot_20240822_074756_Google.jpg

But I wouldn't put in a $15 regulator.
See if you can find an original Mopar regulator, Standard Motor Products (not the T-series though) or even AC Delco.
Any of these should work fine.

The spade connector with the two wires that connects to the ign terminal of your old VR Is the ignition source in the drawing below. Start at the spade connector and follow the drawing.

View attachment 1715003
Ok, so only use the IGN wire from the old VR, the other wire will not be used (there is currently two wires going to the IGN side of the old VR), correct? Splice a new wire into IGN and it goes to FLD and PIN on new VR. The other FLD wire on the old VR goes to FLD and second PIN.

Hmm I reread your post again, and you said to work from the connector so the other wire is being used, correct?

Last edited:
But I wouldn't put in a $15 regulator.
See if you can find an original Mopar regulator, Standard Motor Products (not the T-series though) or even AC Delco.
Any of these should work fine.
I did see another VR for $66 that was a Mopar one, maybe I should get this one.

Auto Transport Service
Back