• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S&W 10 pt cage 66 b body

Auto Teach

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used a cage from S&W lately for a 66 Coronet curious how fitment is.

I'm wanting an 8 from them and have the same question as you.

i bought an 8 point unit from rhodes race cars Delivered for less than the price of the steel...

it was good,,hoop was bent correctly and all bars notched ready for welding, some fitment was required but u will have that inn all of them...mild steel or chromoly...

It's not to hard to fit any of them unless you want to go thru the dash. Little mods for notches ect. I have plenty of pics of the one I cutom built for mine if you are interested.
Doug

I'll check into Rhodes. S&W was less, delivered from them to me, than Alston/Summit and another one. The S&W looks like its ready as is, maybe minor tuning, as opposed to the others.

I'll check into Rhodes. S&W was less, delivered from them to me, than Alston/Summit and another one. The S&W looks like its ready as is, maybe minor tuning, as opposed to the others.
Way back Competiton Engineering sold a decent rollbar
to a full cage kit or an 6 point & an 8 point cage, maybe more points
don't know the current prices

I put 2 of them designed for 68 B-bodies, in former cars 1997-2007-ish
the fitment was still pretty good
the worst part on mine,
was going thru the package tray to the rear frame
all the bars are long enough, so trimming is needed

'drill the holes oversized, where the bars will go, so it drops down & thru
then weld the tops of the connection/points & around the tubes upper elements,
then lift up mark the tubes to be cut & put the lower plates for the floor, over the holes
you dropped the bars thru'
Makes the welding a crapload easier'
carry on

get a good 'notcher' & clamps, if you don't know how to do it freehand

if you need a front hoop, continuous from the rollbar to the front floor
or a continuous U-shaped full upper hoop above your head,
&/or X bars above &/or behind or your door bars
IMO it's best to custom bend it, the way you want it

But the kits I got, fit well, for what they were
& they did follow the contour relatively well too
Mild Steel or DOM, not sure what they sell for or what styles now...

I had a good buddy who raced with US,
that worked at Chris Alston Chassis Works, one of the head guys at the time
he said; "he could not build/bend one, time & $$$ wise,
for what Comp. Eng. sold, them for material wise
(Jim) he did do some custom bends for me thou...

IIRC I got them for Summit or Speedway, sure they still sell them

I have no photos of them in the cars
Competition Engineering 8 pt roll bar 68-74 RR C3128.jpg

Competition Engineering 8 pt B-Body Cage cee-3128-k_w.jpg

good luck

Last edited:
stage3, do you have any pictures of where the rear bars attach/weld to the floor/frame rails? Curious as I'm working in that area right now for my fuel tank install. Not using the 65 b tank, using a 22gal EFI early Mustang tank from Tanks Inc. The TI unit is narrower than the stocker which works for me as I moved the springs into the rails.

stage3, do you have any pictures of where the rear bars attach/weld to the floor/frame rails? Curious as I'm working in that area right now for my fuel tank install. Not using the 65 b tank, using a 22gal EFI early Mustang tank from Tanks Inc. The TI unit is narrower than the stocker which works for me as I moved the springs into the rails.
Me, No sorry
I don't & I don't have either car any longer
both are long gone 2007 was the last one, my Silver 68 RR

never mind
I just noticed it was @stage3 you were asking, doh !!

here ya go, notice how close fit the vert bar is to the post. definitely Not a universal fit unit.. 8 point unit that is plate bolted to the floor on the main loop and all others welded to the frame rails that construct the backhalf except the front lower door bars. they r plate welded also, the door bars swing down.

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

Ok, thank you. Those shots will give me some stewing material on what/how to prep the area.

Auto Transport Service
Back