• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Say-Hey kid Willie Mays passes away at 93

WileERobby

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
One of major league baseball's all-time greats, Willie Mays, has passed away at the age of 93. One of the best players I've ever seen. The man had natural ability and talent. R.I.P.
1718759934790.png

One of the greats. RIP Willie
The Giants are playing the Cubs tonight and they had a moment of silence for him.

RIP to maybe the greatest all around ball player of all time. Say Hey Kid passed about 40 mins ago. RIP Willie…

a little before my time...... I just heard he was a 25 time all star, did I hear that right?.........obviously an all time great, RIP Willie

Watched him play when I was a kid. Certainly, one of the best ever! R.I.P. Willie!

Definitely one of the best. And was oldest Hall of farmer. 24 Allstar appearances.

If the Hall of fame only allowed 10 members? He would be one.

A life well lived. RIP.

a little before my time...... I just heard he was a 25 time all star, did I hear that right?.........obviously an all time great, RIP Willie
Actually 24 time - Hammering Hank was the only one to eclipse that with 25 nods…

One of major league baseball's all-time greats, Willie Mays, has passed away at the age of 93. One of the best players I've ever seen. The man had natural ability and talent. R.I.P.View attachment 1681457
I'm lucky in that I got to see
Willie in action for a few
games. Along with Willie
McCovey. Awesome times
as a young'un. RIP Willie.

R.I.P.

Rest in peace! As stated one of the greatest ever!

LEGEND...

"The Giants were 17-19, in 5th place, on May 25, the day Willie Mays joined the team at Shibe Park.
Durocher immediately installed the 20-year-old in center.
The Giants won all 3 of the games, though Mays was hitless in his first 12 at-bats.
Despite his batting woes, when the team returned to the Polo Grounds, Mays’ 1st home game saw him
batting 3rd against the Boston Braves & their star southpaw Warren Spahn.
In his first at-bat, he hit Spahn’s offering atop the left-field roof for a homer, his 1st major-league hit.

After the homer, Mays went on a 0-for-13 slide, leaving him hitting .038 (1-for-26).
At this point, in an often-told story, Mays sat in front of his locker, crying, after taking the collar again.
Coaches Freddie Fitzsimmons & Herman Franks sent for Durocher. Mays again said he couldn’t hit big-league pitching.
Durocher replied, “As long as I’m the manager of the Giants, you are my center fielder.
You are the best center fielder I’ve ever looked at.”
Then he told Mays to hitch up his pants more to give himself a more favorable strike zone; he proceeded to go on a 14-for-33 tear.

For a 20-year-old from the Deep South, living in Manhattan could have been overwhelming.
The Giants took good care of him, setting him up in the Harlem rooming house of David & Anna Goosby
at St. Nicholas Ave & 155th St, not far from the Polo Grounds.
Mays, still very much a big kid, ate many meals there, & Anna washed his clothes.
Neighbors often waited outside for him to arrive home.

His stickball-playing reputation was forged in those early days.
In fact, the games were followed by a trip to the soda shop – Mays’ treat.
As Hinckley wrote, this was not some publicity stunt; he actually played.
On August 30, 1951, Mays hit 2 home runs in 1 game against the Pirates at the Polo Grounds, and then
homered in a stickball game later that day." - author unknown

448556769_967698458486188_1854707238322963705_n.jpg

Me being a very long-time hardcore Cubs fan and Baseball fanatic, I grew up during his playing days with the Giants. It was mentioned last night, during the Cubs Giants game, that his tour in the Negro Leagues before he was brought into Major League ball with the Giants, might be included in his homerun record overall totals, as that former league is now becoming a Major League added tally. That would elevate him to a phenomenal home run total over all other players. Fitting that he passed while his Giants and the Cubs, teams at the historical pillars of the game, were playing last night. I enjoy and have been a Giants fan for many years as well and remember when he played back in my youth days, and my Dad and I would watch the games in Chicago, back when WGN would broadcast the game. Rest In Peace "Say Hey"...cr8crshr/Bill:praying::praying::praying::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Willie Mays Tribute 1.jpg

Willie Mays Tribute 2.jpg

Last edited:
Some more of his accomplishments and deeds for Baseball...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

We remember dynamic baseball player Willie Mays, celebrated and respected for his skill in every facet of the sport. Known as the “Say Hey Kid” for his genial disposition, Mays was one of baseball history’s most charismatic players. In this photo from our National Museum of American History, he smiles with the “Queen of Jazz” Ella Fitzgerald, who was a lifelong baseball fan.
At age 17, Mays joined the Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro Leagues, the highest level of the segregated sport open to Black players in 1948.
He signed with the Giants in 1950, only three years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier integrating the sport. When he returned to the field after serving in the Army during the Korean War, Mays helped the Giants clinch the 1954 World Series with an incredible over-the-shoulder catch and powerful throw to second. Known simply as “the Catch,” the play became one of baseball’s most memorable moments.
“Willie Mays was one of the greatest baseball players ever to play the game,” said Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie G. Bunch III. “Not only was he exceptionally skilled as a well-rounded athlete, but he exuded joy that was infectious. In a sport known as America’s pastime, Mays’ grace on and off the field, his ability to delight and entertain, and his exuberant love of the sport made a powerful impression on generations of casual observers and die-hard fans. We remember Mays as one of the greats.”

Willie Mays Tribute 3.jpg

You ever get the feeling that we're going away one by one and faster and faster. R.I.P.

Auto Transport Service
Back