• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking 426 Max Wedge Advice

440SportFury

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Like the title says, I am seeking some advice on what to do with a 63 426 Max wedge that is sitting in my garage. My grandfather was working on a 63 Plymouth Sport Fury clone car but passed before he could complete it (about 98% done) and the last coherent conversation I had with him he asked me to finish the car and sell it to take care of grandma.

My dad inherited the vehicle and wants nothing to do with it, but understands there’s a lot of value to a max wedge engine. I ended up buying the car from him as a roller with the agreement that I’d sell the engine as a package and make as much as I can.
So the question is - do I sell this engine complete? Or do I strip it down and sell parts across the various internet platforms? What should I be asking as far as prices?
Any advice is very welcome

Do as Grandfather asked. You don't need that kinda Karma haunting you.

(But I noticed he didn't say nothing about driving and enjoying for even a short spell? I would bet that was a given in his mind.)

JMO

I would sell it as a package deal but only if the car is originally a MW car. I would suspect that to the right person that max wedge engine may be valuable.

So it's a clone but is the engine an original MW engine or one built to mimic an original? Lots of unknown. Was it being built as a driver or strictly race car? ruffcut
And pictures if you can?

The clone car was originally a 318 poly. He bought the max wedge around 2004 when it was in a boat. From what i understand talking with local Mopar experts the car/engine was special ordered to the dealership in 62/63. The owner decided that it used too much fuel so a smaller displacement engine was installed. Someone at the dealership ended up with the engine and it sat in a garage for years, eventually to be put in the boat. It is a legitimate 426 Max Wedge engine with low mileage/use.
I'll post more photos when I get home from work tonight.
He was building it to be a driver. I drove it from his garage to my shop (about 9 miles). It ended up needing a transmission case (small crack in the L/R servo area.)
I absolutely am planning on keeping the car. Im building a 440 for it now. I decided the kids needed a fun little icecream runner.

image_50396161.JPG

image_50443265.JPG

image_50436865.JPG

image_50385665.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a Great car, ready to drive ! I'd consider moving the right side(passenger) fuel line away from the ex manifold, if it gets as Hot as mine does ???

My opinion? You'll get a lot more for a running max clone, especially with a real max in it..... than a nice roller with no motor, and a max that you part out, or can't prove how well it runs.

My Ramcharger Tribute clone, Day 2 build:

1116231450_HDR.jpg
1116231457.jpg
1116231454b.jpg

I think i may have muddied the waters too much …. I am keeping the car itself- I paid the family a very fair amount of money for the rolling chassis. The transmission was broken (has a fracture in the L/R servo area) so more repairs are needed. The agreement is that I’d sell the 426 for the fair market value and put that money in her account. I waived my right to his other hot rods because this was the only one that could seat more than 2.

Obviously there is more family negotiating than can be judged on a car site.

I'm assuming you can't or don't want to pay the engine cost to accommodate the family? But the engine to the car is the value in my opinion.

I would take the engine before the car? But that's me.

Last edited:
Pay Grandma a fair price for it and keep it.

Looks like a Great car, ready to drive ! I'd consider moving the right side(passenger) fuel line away from the ex manifold, if it gets as Hot as mine does ???

My opinion? You'll get a lot more for a running max clone, especially with a real max in it..... than a nice roller with no motor, and a max that you part out, or can't prove how well it runs.
The masses have spoken. Give grandma her 7500 bucks and move on

Auto Transport Service
Back