• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side mirrors and blind spots

Coelacanth

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
Lately, I've been noticing how clueless and stupid people are when it comes to the positioning of their side mirrors. Of course, the little indicator lights to let people know a car is in their blind spot probably contributes to the problem, but I think it's more likely that people are just idiots.

If I'm right behind you at a red light and I see you gawking right back at me through your side mirror, you don't have your mirror aimed correctly!!! I honestly think almost half of the idiots out there have their side mirrors aimed so they can check out the person in the car behind them, NOT the car that would be diagonally to the mirror in their blind spot. If you want to check out the person behind you, that's what your rear-view mirror is for.

What I do to properly aim my side mirrors to show what's in my blind spot is this: When I'm driving, I'll slowly overtake a car and as soon as the front of their car disappears from the corner of my eye, I make sure I can see their entire car in my side mirror. I then fine-tune the position by watching a car that's overtaking me. As soon as it disappears from my rear-view mirror, I make sure I can see it in my side mirror.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe there'd be a whole lot less lane-change crashes or idiots cutting people off if they set their side mirrors correctly and not aim them to look at the person directly behind them.

Agree.

I set mine in a parking lot, positioning a parked car directly in the blind spot.

This is hyper important with our "objects in mirror are NOT closer than they appear" mirrors.

Also, if you can see the side of your car in the side mirror, it is not adjusted properly.

Auto Transport Service
Back