• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skunk Came Over Just to Hang Out

matthon

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Came home tonight, pulled in garage, get out, I'm leaning over the passenger side, hood up, making noise, looking at some wiring, a skunk slowly walks around the driver's side like no big dealio, hangs out a bit, walks towards the back, sniffing around.

Weird, when your right on top of one, literally, all you see is white, just a large white, strange animal, it took me a while to get what it was and that this was happening.

Calm, pretty darn large, so white.

I unfreeze myself and walk out the front.
I've seen him before, but never that close, and white looking, did I mention that yet?

Snapped a few pics while I waited.
He came out and walked right at me, I'm thinking he did not see me as the light was behind him, then turned and walked away.

Think I'll take some measurements tomorrow based on objects in the pics.

I still can't get over how white a skunk looks, and alien, when he's next to you.

20220730_212832.jpg

20220731_010152.jpg

Came home tonight, pulled in garage, get out, I'm leaning over the passenger side, hood up, making noise, looking at some wiring, a skunk slowly walks around the driver's side like no big dealio, hangs out a bit, walks towards the back, sniffing around.

Weird, when your right on top of one, literally, all you see is white, just a large white, strange animal, it took me a while to get what it was and that this was happening.

Calm, pretty darn large, so white.

I unfreeze myself and walk out the front.
I've seen him before, but never that close, and white looking, did I mention that yet?

Snapped a few pics while I waited.
He came out and walked right at me, I'm thinking he did not see me as the light was behind him, then turned and walked away.

Think I'll take some measurements tomorrow based on objects in the pics.

I still can't get over how white a skunk looks, and alien, when he's next to you.

View attachment 1321799

View attachment 1321800
I bet he was a little stinker!

When my wife & I first got married, instead of going into hock like most newlyweds, we bought an old motor home and lived in a cheap campground; saving our money (we eventually paid cash for a fixer-upper house). At the campground, we cooked on the grill whenever we could. After we ate, we'd throw left-over scraps out for the animals. Over time, we befriended a family of skunks. My brother came to visit, and while he was there, the "family" came around. One skunk literally walked between my legs. My brother about pissed himself.

A lady at a place I once worked at had a de-scented albino skunk (actually kind of gold colored) as a pet.
It was actually very laid back and pretty cool.

Last edited:
Here at my new place I have had to deal with several , somewhat of a nuisance. I have found out that are not really afraid of people generally speaking and you can get pretty close. NORMALLY, you pretty much have to irritate one a lot before he will dump on ya. And, they usually will let you know before they spray by lifting their tail, arching their back, and stand stiff legged while aiming their butt at the irritation/you. Ive caught several in my live traps and transported them back out into different woods and not got popped, YET. But do prefer they leave on their own free will....kinda cute little fellows......

I don’t know about your neck of the woods but they do have some incidence of rabies around here. Actually, any raccoon or skunk we see in daytime that’s acting a bit off, we assume has a good possibility of being rabid.

Had one with a wide white strip, old and fat lived under neighbors shed. Must've moved to your neck of the woods.:lol:
Lately been seeing more rabbits, the some of the predators must've moved on. Turkeys weren't around this spring saw only one 3 times.

I built a turkey hunting blind out of camo material, pvc pipe, and branches. I got in the blind about 4am, was sitting there about 30 minutes when I knew I was not alone in my blind. Yes it was a skunk. I lifted two sides of the blind and it walked out. I remained calm, not sure how but I did

In the spring on I-691 a 1/2 mile section you'd see a few road kills of young skunksover the span of a month.

I never saw a live skunk (pole-cat) in my entire life and I lived in central Florida most of my life. I have caught a wif of a few. but that's it. I suspect it's due to our fire ant problem, killing a lot of baby animals? ?

I remember Mythbusters trying to test antidotes for skunk spray. The first part was to try get a skunk to spray so they could get a test sample. They tried everything they could with several skunks and couldn't get one to spray them. Totally unexpected.

I remember Mythbusters trying to test antidotes for skunk spray. The first part was to try get a skunk to spray so they could get a test sample. They tried everything they could with several skunks and couldn't get one to spray them. Totally unexpected.
I should have sent them my younger brothers dobie. I swear it seems like he would get sprayed once a month!
A real skunk magnet that dog was.
See you in the next life Nikko.

A cousin had a pet skunk and one day it got loose and ended up in someone's garage. Some kids got him into a burlap sack and brought him back to the house no knowing if it had been decented or not. It was kinda funny seeing that....and the skunk was pretty cool with all of that. Their fur is kinda course but a prairie dog has really soft fur :D Softer than I thought it would be.

I don’t know about your neck of the woods but they do have some incidence of rabies around here. Actually, any raccoon or skunk we see in daytime that’s acting a bit off, we assume has a good possibility of being rabid.
This is very true. We have families of them out here and like all the other species, they're quite used to us after
all these years - but upon occasion, you do get a rabid skunk or raccoon that will come right at you.
They don't freak out, they just waltz right up like they know you...
That's when to get real nervous (actually, you shoulda been gone by that time).

Any wild critter that isn't acting like they normally do, be very cautious!

Auto Transport Service
Back