• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slow acceleration by kickdown

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I installed a carb spacer and after putting all together I realized my kickdown is kinda bad. It shifts down but there comes no power when the motor screams crazy at 6000rpm.
I have a Holley 4-barrel 4160 on a 350hp 318 block

The angle of the linkage changed of course because the carb sits higher now. Maybe it just needs some adjustment?

Thank you

Changing carbs...or adding a carb spacer.....can often change the throttle opening requirements. This then affects the k/down adjustment. Also, have you checked that you are getting full throttle at the carb?

Changing carbs...or adding a carb spacer.....can often change the throttle opening requirements. This then affects the k/down adjustment. Also, have you checked that you are getting full throttle at the carb?
Yeah the throttle opens to 100%

Yeah the throttle opens to 100%
I just installed a Bouchillon Performance Engineering (BPE) kickdown cable kit this past Saturday due to the previous owner using a stock two barrel bell & crank that just wasn't reaching my Holley 670 on top of an Air Gap intake. No matter how much I adjusted the vertical linkage rod or the slotted carb rod, couldn't get it right as far as the amount of line pressure. It was pricey but went ahead and purchased the accelerator bracket also. Real close to where I want it now, a little adjustment either way can make a big difference in the way it shifts.

It shifts down but there comes no power when the motor screams crazy at 6000rpm.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong (notice he's from Austria) but it seems he's saying the motor is revving but going nowhere. That's not a kickdown problem, more like slippage.

Yes, could be more, but you know how to adjust the kickdown linkage, since this wasn’t mentioned?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong (notice he's from Austria) but it seems he's saying the motor is revving but going nowhere. That's not a kickdown problem, more like slippage.
Yeah could be too. I never thought of that thank you. Maybe it works better with adding a tranny oil stabilizer.

Yes, could be more, but you know how to adjust the kickdown linkage, since this wasn’t mentioned?
I know the basics but I‘m not a professional. I can send a picture of my linkage when I‘m home. Maybe that helps

Auto Transport Service
Back