• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sneak peek at US Navy's new $13B aircraft carrier

Car Nut

Local time
6:49 PM
Reaction score
Perched 50 feet above the USS Gerald Ford's massive flight deck, Petty Officer 1st Class Jose Triana has a clear view of the horizon from his padded captain's chair in the pilot house of the world's most advanced aircraft carrier.

"This ship can basically drive itself," Triana said, pointing to a touch-screen navigation display that has replaced the traditional throttle system used to power and steer the US Navy's older carrier classes.
The one-of-a-kind control system is just one of many state-of-the-art upgrades aboard the $13 billion USS Gerald Ford that will be commissioned into active duty on July 22 after eight years of construction, development and testing.
As the first new carrier design in 40 years, the 1,100-foot Ford incorporates advanced technology and operational systems that will allow aircraft take off and land more quickly, a smaller crew and improved survivability against projected threats, according to the Navy.

"One primary difference is the crew composition," said the ship's executive officer, Capt. Brent Gaut.
"We've worked a great deal to automize a lot of what we do," he said, highlighting that the Ford maintains a crew of 2,600 sailors — 600 fewer than its predecessors in the Nimitz-class.
State-of-the-art electromagnetic catapults and advanced arresting gear have been coupled with new structural designs, including a larger flight deck to improve aircraft maneuverability and a repositioned "island" (the tower where the captain sits) for better visibility.
These systems are expected to streamline flight operations and allow the Ford to launch 33 percent more aircraft than older carriers in the fleet, meaning it will be able to pack a bigger punch.
The Navy was granted a waiver as it waited for the USS Gerald Ford to be completed.

The next carrier in the Ford class, the USS John F. Kennedy (CVN 79), is scheduled to launch in 2020. That ship was 50 percent complete as of July.
The third Ford-class carrier, the USS Enterprise (CVN 80), is set to begin construction in 2018.

26265432.jpg

The USS Gerald Ford docked at Naval Station Norfolk next to the USS Dwight D.

26265429.jpg

Aircaft carriers are awesome ships. If I'm not mistaking the US has more carriers afloat than the rest of the world combined together. I'm very comfortable with that ratio, hehe.

Aircaft carriers are awesome ships. If I'm not mistaking the US has more carriers afloat than the rest of the world combined together. I'm very comfortable with that ratio, hehe.

China has a whopping 1
Soon to develop another in 5 years...

Decent looking boat....any chance that the boys do any fishing off the side during quiet times? :lol:

With the technology that was stolen from us.
Oh that's a given. JUST about all they have that can qualify as high Tech they STOLE from the US or Isreal...everyone knows it's a dirty little secret.

Yes, I believe it was a Russian ship before they bought it. They one they are building will be of thier own design.
Yes, the currently active carrier was Soviet, launched in 1988. Less than 3/4 finished, after the U.S.S.R. broke up the Ukraine sold what there was of it to China who completed it. The second hull, built in China, has already been launched earlier this year, but won't be finished and commissioned until 2020. The third carrier is already under construction. Much of the technology comes from Russian designs, as well as from Australia when China bought the HMAS Melbourne in 1985. They copied the catapult system from that. Two other Russian carriers were purchased and studied before being turned into amusement parks. They also tried to buy some ship designs from Spain and a used carrier from France but that fell through.

Yes, the currently active carrier was Soviet, launched in 1988. Less than 3/4 finished, after the U.S.S.R. broke up the Ukraine sold what there was of it to China who completed it. The second hull, built in China, has already been launched earlier this year, but won't be finished and commissioned until 2020. The third carrier is already under construction. Much of the technology comes from Russian designs, as well as from Australia when China bought the HMAS Melbourne in 1985. They copied the catapult system from that. Two other Russian carriers were purchased and studied before being turned into amusement parks. They also tried to buy some ship designs from Spain and a used carrier from France but that fell through.
I believe the Chinese (or Commie China maybe I should say...Chi Coms..lol) have a stealth fighter as well.

I believe the Chinese (or Commie China maybe I should say...Chi Coms..lol) have a stealth fighter as well.
Although they're working on it, the Chenyang J-31 may or not end up being used in a naval version for their carriers. Rumors have it both ways.
2555701.jpg

However, the current Shenyang J-15 has successfully made carrier take-offs and landings and is a possible contender for now. It's based off the Russian SU-33 with Chinese technology and avionics.

j15.jpg

Although they're working on it, the Chenyang J-31 may or not end up being used in a naval version for their carriers. Rumors have it both ways.
View attachment 491795

However, the current Shenyang J-15 has successfully made carrier take-offs and landings and is a possible contender for now. It's based off the Russian SU-33 with Chinese technology and avionics.

View attachment 491796

Simply means: Does not work...

Simply means: Does not work...
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What does not work? The J-15 as a carrier jet, or whether the J-31 will be used?

As I earlier mentioned, there are rumors going both ways, nobody is sure. There is conjecture that the J-31, which is the Chinese equivalent to the F-35, may not even be used for domestic service but instead for foreign sales. The actual Gen 5 stealth fighter that is in active service with China as of this year is the Chenyang J-20, and while information on it is still being gathered it is probably a good idea to not underestimate any potential enemy weapon systems.
J-20-weapon-bay-5.jpg

And this here is why the ship will fail: "This ship can basically drive itself," Triana said, pointing to a touch-screen navigation display that has replaced the traditional throttle system used to power and steer the US Navy's older carrier classes.

"The one-of-a-kind control system is just one of many state-of-the-art upgrades aboard the $13 billion USS Gerald Ford that will be commissioned into active duty on July 22 after eight years of construction, development and testing."

Folks are continually forgetting that military equipment isn't meant to sit around and be cool or look pretty. It's meant to fight in combat and sustain damage.

When I read that piece above, I was reminded of an incident on the USS Enterprise back in the 1990s. The Navy was installing the Global Command and Control System - Maritime (GCCS-M) aboard her. GCCS-M was a hybrid WindowsNT/Unix system with close to 100 applications running on it, which automated most of the functions of the ship except for the reactor controls. At the same time, the Navy decided to end the old Data Processing Technician (DP) rating and replace them with Radiomen (RM) personnel who barely understood computers. The result was a total failure of the GCCS-M system just a day out of port. The Enterprise had no comms, no radars, couldn't operate aircraft, had no navigation system, nothing. All they could do is move. They had to manually operate the rudders and navigate back to Norfolk using sextants, paper charts, and marker pens. And why did this happen? Because a $1,000 server failed. A single PC failure caused an American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to be turned into a sailing ship from the 1800s.

All this tech is cool, but tech is not designed to survive having holes blown in it, and over-reliance on it can be disastrous.

And this here is why the ship will fail: "This ship can basically drive itself," Triana said, pointing to a touch-screen navigation display that has replaced the traditional throttle system used to power and steer the US Navy's older carrier classes.

"The one-of-a-kind control system is just one of many state-of-the-art upgrades aboard the $13 billion USS Gerald Ford that will be commissioned into active duty on July 22 after eight years of construction, development and testing."

Folks are continually forgetting that military equipment isn't meant to sit around and be cool or look pretty. It's meant to fight in combat and sustain damage.

When I read that piece above, I was reminded of an incident on the USS Enterprise back in the 1990s. The Navy was installing the Global Command and Control System - Maritime (GCCS-M) aboard her. GCCS-M was a hybrid WindowsNT/Unix system with close to 100 applications running on it, which automated most of the functions of the ship except for the reactor controls. At the same time, the Navy decided to end the old Data Processing Technician (DP) rating and replace them with Radiomen (RM) personnel who barely understood computers. The result was a total failure of the GCCS-M system just a day out of port. The Enterprise had no comms, no radars, couldn't operate aircraft, had no navigation system, nothing. All they could do is move. They had to manually operate the rudders and navigate back to Norfolk using sextants, paper charts, and marker pens. And why did this happen? Because a $1,000 server failed. A single PC failure caused an American nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to be turned into a sailing ship from the 1800s.

All this tech is cool, but tech is not designed to survive having holes blown in it, and over-reliance on it can be disastrous.
Ok Point well taken. However were it not for the constant March of "technology" we would STILL be sailing your 19th century ships; and I wouldn't want to be on that ship were it to engage say..maybe a Ticonderoga class guided miss destroyer. The AEGIS radar system would see the sailing ship far over and past the horizon. Ok and extreme comparison yes, but technology is an invaluble asset. There will be "hiccups" along the way (and the one you state concerning the Enterprise is a HUGE hiccup indeed, but a hiccup none the less). IMO I would not go as far as to say the Navy has an "over reliance" on it's tech. They clearly have very knowledgeable professionals within it's ranks maintaining the technological effectiveness of every device they run and/or deploy.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What does not work? The J-15 as a carrier jet, or whether the J-31 will be used?

As I earlier mentioned, there are rumors going both ways, nobody is sure. There is conjecture that the J-31, which is the Chinese equivalent to the F-35, may not even be used for domestic service but instead for foreign sales. The actual Gen 5 stealth fighter that is in active service with China as of this year is the Chenyang J-20, and while information on it is still being gathered it is probably a good idea to not underestimate any potential enemy weapon systems.
View attachment 491919
Would it be safe to say much of Chinese technology (aircraft, warfare systems, naval assets...etc) is technology stolen or received thru misbegotten means from the West?

My nephew............ retired West Point commander..was on one, on one of his combat missions and was told not to go below a certain deck level that it is controlled my undesirables.
There are over 5000 crew members on one at any one time.

Auto Transport Service
Back