• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snow storm of 1977

I remember this storm because it reached the South where I live. We were snowed in from early January through late February. It hasn't snowed like that here since.

I remembered it very well also.The snow was up to the roofline with the snow drifts.
We kept snoveling and snoveling the driveway and it kept coming back.
Thank goodness for the snowblower.Couldnt have done it w/o it.
I live in New York.

I was living in central NY that winter. I honestly don't remember it being much different than any other winter up there. It was always sub zero with many feet of snow back then. In fact the year I remember the most snow was somewhere around 1971'.
The county roads were plugged for about three weeks while large blowers were brought in from neighboring states. Farmers had to dump thier milk for weeks. I can remember riding snomobiles out in the country roads and being level with power lines at times.

Good memories - of why I moved south 20 years ago :)

Oswego2.jpg

Oswego3.jpg

I remember the 71 blizzard as well. That one was incredible.I think your right, it could have been bigger than in 77.

I lived in the Albany area in '71, and I remember that one.

I was about 100 miles north east of Albany. I remember some pretty heavy snow falls and bitter cold temperatures growing up. In that same area around 1980 or 81' I remember a beautiful, sunny, crisp and clear Christmas morning that was -40 F. Went out to start my truck about 10 am to go to my mother's and the antifreeze looked like a lime slush cone.....

Again, it's memories like those that keep me in the south :)

Living around Buffalo you sort of get used to Blizzards and 77 was pretty bad around here. Not to much snow but super wind caused a lot of problems. We had some other good ones in 81 & 85, couple in the 90s and about 3-4 foot of snow 2 weeks ago depending where you live in relation to the lake. Some people still have grass showing. But the worst I remember was at Christmas time 2001 when we got 7 feet in 2 days. I do have the feeling you will be reading about another big one this year with the lake still pretty warm. We just stock up on Beer and keep the sled full of gas.

Auto Transport Service
Back