• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Metal Subframe and Transmission Crossmember bushings

Thomas Fell

Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what to do with the rotted out rubber subframe buhsings on my 1973 dodge charger. Some say solid aluminum from firm feel is the way to go.. My concerns with Aluminum is galvanic corrosion of steel touching
aluminum. also looks like the transmission crossmember bushing is uncoated the cast aluminum bushings appear to be coated.

We are out West but have been running Firm Feel Subframe Bushings
forever on our 73 Roadrunner.

I have always relied on the Firm Feel Guys for all their products.
I have been there and they are great guys!

They actually bought a 63 Dodge Savoy Max Wedge 426 SS/FA from me and I
delivered it to them a few years back!

Last edited:
The dissimilar metals won’t rust for many, many years. I would use them IF I had solid motor mounts, otherwise rubber

There was a time that Firm feel sold poly subframe mounts - but I don't see them on their website now.
If concerned with galvanic corrosion, put a dab of grease or never seize on the mating surfaces before install.

We always replace the Subframe Bushings with solid or poly
eveb on street cars.

I think the change Mopar made for a smoother ride was dumb for a
performance car!

Back in the day Mopar Performance or Direct Connection offered them in cast iron - at least they did for the F-body cars.
A guy I knew bought them and I reversed engineered them thinking I was going to make a set from Teflon, but never ended up doing that and bought the Firm feel one's for my F-Body at the time.

Back in the day Mopar Performance or Direct Connection offered them in cast iron - at least they did for the F-body cars.
A guy I knew bought them and I reversed engineered them thinking I was going to make a set from Teflon, but never ended up doing that and bought the Firm feel one's for my F-Body at the time.
That would be pretty slick!

We are out West but have been running Firm Feel Subframe Bushings
forever on our 73 Roadrunner.

I have always relied on the Firm Feel Guys for all their products.
I have been there and they are great guys!

They actually bought a 63 Dodge Savoy Max Wedge 426 SS/FA from me and I
delivered it to them a few years back!
Is the ride quality good? I have bought pretty much all my front end parts from firm feel upper control arms front sway bar etc I like their quality so I was thinking of just using there subframe bushings but I couldn't find much on the internet.

Is the ride quality good? I have bought pretty much all my front end parts from firm feel upper control arms front sway bar etc I like their quality so I was thinking of just using there subframe bushings but I couldn't find much on the internet.
Eliminating the rubber bushings just takes you back to the "1972 and older" factory design principle of metal K member bolted to metal frame rails. Yeah, the ride may be a bit harsher but so what? That is how those cars were.
I've just accepted that my classic cars will never ride as smooth and quiet as a new car.

Up here in SALT country, everything corrodes/rusts. I refurbished the steel axles under my all-aluminum snowmobile trailer this spring. Sand blasted the axles and knocked the corroded aluminum crap off the aluminum frame tubes. It was quite thick and after cleaning I had some deep pitting in the frame rails, I deemed them structurally sound and placed thin, hard rubber/plastic material I had in stock to insulate the iron from the aluminum. When I next inspect them I will evaluate the condition. Who am I kidding, I'll be dead before that happens!
Mike

Up here in SALT country, everything corrodes/rusts. I refurbished the steel axles under my all-aluminum snowmobile trailer this spring. Sand blasted the axles and knocked the corroded aluminum crap off the aluminum frame tubes. It was quite thick and after cleaning I had some deep pitting in the frame rails, I deemed them structurally sound and placed thin, hard rubber/plastic material I had in stock to insulate the iron from the aluminum. When I next inspect them I will evaluate the condition. Who am I kidding, I'll be dead before that happens!
Mike
My triton sled trailer has a rubber gasket between the axle and the frame and stainless steel bolts. I have a galvanized axle waiting to go on with a new gasket.. But I have seen sled trailers where the aluminum corrodes away where the axle bolts on.. when I bought my snowmobile trailer the salesman kept telling me steel and aluminum are not friends haha I switched my salt shield hardware to stainless too had some minor corrosion there to the aluminum but not the steel fastener.

Auto Transport Service
Back