• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes ya gotta think outta the box...

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
So, I'm swapping out a steering box, all three bolts are very tight, the two near the engine I used a breaker bar and they came loose.. The one close to the frame rail I couldn't get the breaker bar on with room to rotate the bolt... So I started looking at options.... And found a combination of tools that worked very well...

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

Yep, you only have to be smarter than the car.

00 SKOR.JPG

Last edited:
I know the feeling,fought to get one of the booster nuts off under the dash. Ac box and hoses in the way .:thumbsup:

That single fastener/bolt/screw is in a spot where a ratchet has almost no leverage. I've struggled with them before but THIS is a novel way to remove it.

I'm contemplating changing to power from manual. I'm having second thoughts :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip! (Book Marked)

So, I'm swapping out a steering box, all three bolts are very tight, the two near the engine I used a breaker bar and they came loose.. The one close to the frame rail I couldn't get the breaker bar on with room to rotate the bolt... So I started looking at options.... And found a combination of tools that worked very well...

View attachment 1702212

View attachment 1702213
I can relate to this. Just put some fresh Glow Plugs in the wagon. I pretty much had to use every conceivable combo of sockets, wrenches, extensions, Gear Wrench ratchet/socket etc to get them switched. It pays to have plenty of tools and combos available.

I can relate to this. Just put some fresh Glow Plugs in the wagon. I pretty much had to use every conceivable combo of sockets, wrenches, extensions, Gear Wrench ratchet/socket etc to get them switched. It pays to have plenty of tools and combos available.
U have a diesel wagon? Tell us about it.

Yup. Speaking of glow plugs, back in the early 80's the AC/DELCO rep stopped by the parts store I worked at for a sales call. I asked him what the gap was supposed to be when using glow plugs. 5.7 diesel was out then. He said he didn't know what the spec was off the top of his head and would find out from engineering/corporate what it was supposed to be.
And said wagon will be heading to the Mopar shootout in Famosa today. Spectating only.

IMG_4984.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back