• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Problems

rebootej

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, I took my 74 Satellite out for it first drive on the road. The speedometer was very bouncy at first and then at higher speeds ( approx 40-50mph) the bounce became worse much worse fluctuating between actual speed and pegging the needle, along with a whriling noise. Once i got it home and disconnected the cable but the speedometer was stuck reading 10 mph. Is there any thing i can do to fix it, or do i need to find a new gauge? I have the rallye instrument cluster. Thank you guys for the help.

I've had the same thing when it's cold or sat for a while. I never pulled the cable but after it warms up it goes away. So far I haven't had a problem as far as it curing itself. Hopefully it doesn't do anything permanent. It's a 72satty. Put it back together and see what happens after awhile, hopefully it's the same thing. TAKE CARE HOWARD

Remove the speedo core, clean and lube it, then put it back into the cable. Then you need to remove the guage cluster, and remove the speed from the assy. Either send it out to be cleaned, lubed, and calibrated. You could also VERY carefully clean the pivot points for the needle and re-lube them with a light grease.

Basically, the speedo is moved by spinning a magnet. A metal bar attached to the speedo needle moves by trying to follow the action of the magnet causing the needle to move up the scale. When the grease hardens on the needle pivot points, it can jump and stick. Also, when the cable core is gummed up by thickening grease or lube, it will have the same result.

That's why you don't lube the cable with grease. Lube it with graphite. It will not harden.

Thanks for the help guys! I will definitely inspect and relube the cable. I think ill probably send the speedo out, i would hate to make it worse. Thank you again!

Where do you send your speedo for cleaning or fixing? I have the same issues it jumping like crazy. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back