• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stalling Satellite

mopar_71

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Got a good one here and I need help.
My 1972 Satellite has a low mileage 360 magnum engine.
Edelbrock 600 carb, air gap intake, TTI headers, electronic ignition with super stock coil. The heads are stock other than bigger springs to handle the rumpity cam shaft. The 904 auto tranny has the stock torque converter with a cooler.
The vacuum advance is hooked up to part time vacuum port.
Timing is around 9 deg. BTC
Basically all components of this engine including electrical are new.
Plugs, cap, rotor, distributor, alt, wires, voltage reg.,......
2 belts. PS and ALT/WP.

The radiator is the only thing I haven't changed. It's the stock one used for automatic air conditioned car.

So here is the problem. When it's cold to warm it runs great with no problems.
Once I drive it around town in stop and go, it wants to stall at idle rpm of 850-900 rpm.

Things I have already checked:
The water temp is good with no boil over. I know it is because I have an electric fan with a thermostat that will cycle the fan on/off.
I have moved the fuel pump regulator and fuel line away from the engine. So it's not vapor lock.
I hooked up a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum and for leaks. No leaks found.
The carb is tuned properly, it's fresh gas..... I'm running out of ideas.

I'm wondering if the transmission could be the problem?
Does the characteristics of the fluid change causing more drag when hot?
What about electronics? Could the ignition module, coil or voltage regulator malfunction from the engine heat?
Could the radiator be plugged and not cooling enough even though it's not overheating?

Hopefully someone has some input or has had a problem like this.
Again it only stalls when warmed up...
Thanks!

Last edited:
A choke will get the car up and running but when it warms up the choke changes, opens up after warm because its not needed, I would check that.. Other then that the coil can be known to do that but if its new... although new does not mean good. Hopefully someone else can chim in but those are two things ive had problems with that were similar, idol should be ok at what you stated, mine is a 318 and does fine in that range, just a couple things maybe to check on.

Update:
Funny you mention a choke RON73. I had just put the cable mounts on. It's a manual cable operated from inside the car.
I think it might be electrical because I moved the coil off the intake manifold and mounted it on the firewall. I was "getting on it" while getting on the freeway and it died.
As I was coasting, threw it in neutral and fired back up. Got off the freeway, died again and wouldn't fire until I wiggled the wires around. I kept it running for a long time and it didn't stall like I described. So I went from one problem to another....Such is life huh?

I have the manual choke as well, but not hooked up. When your car stalls does it just stop like someone clipped a wire for the juice, that would suggest in the least its a bad connection having to wiggle wires.. When it stalls does it spit and sputter like its starving for fuel which would suggest a plugged fuel filter. My coil is on the firewall to, but i don't see where it would matter where right off hand. I don't drive mine in winter, i just pump twice and good to go, if its set a few days, once started bad news if i pump it the rest of the day. im going by what your saying so this is two things you can check, which ever way its stalling.. Good luck.

In your first post you asked "Could the ignition module, coil or voltage regulator malfunction from the engine heat?" With it starting right back up, outside of the last time you had to wiggle wires, It doesn't sound like this could be part of the problem, the engine heat would not dissipate that fast to start right back up.

Only reason I will add my 2 cents is the springs for the valves was mentioned, I know there is little correlation to my old issue and yours but I had incorrectly adjusted the valves causing the car to not idle after it was warm and would die at stops then could restart no problem. Was hanging the valves open too much. Went through all the other possibility's - boil over, spark etc.

Just my experience with an issue similar. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back