• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter issues.....

chargerrt340

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I took on a hell of a project swapping a 408 in place of a 318.....

I bolt the transmission to the engine, starter in place and attached, turn of the key and tic, tic, tic nothing nothing nothing.....

Tried to arc the starter solenoid and tic tic nothing

Battery is new, and I have a new second starter that is no different.

Looking for ideas....

Bad battery cable, either one can do it.

Where is battery? Stock underhood? or in trunk?

Can you turn the motor over by hand? Did you check voltage of the Battery, must be at least 12.6 to crank. Turn on headlights with Voltmeter connected and make sure battery isn't dropping off fast. I know you said new battery, but was it fully charged? Battery or connections could also be culprit.

I am going to buy new battery cables to rule them out. Battery is in stock location. Motor will rotate by hand... Battery has been on a trickle charger but I will make sure it is topped off and not floating at a lesser charge.

My first engine swap and it has been a challenge . There has been a speed bump every step of the way:BangHead: All I want to do is hear it run, at least bump over :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back