• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter not disengaging

lvmymopar

Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 coronet 440. When you first start the car when it is cold and hasnt been started for a few days the starter seems to be staying engaged. I turn the key off right away and then when you restart it it starts normally and then starts normally the rest of the time until it sits again. Is it the starter or could it be in the ignition switch? We replaced the starter about a year ago with a rebuilt starter. And I believe the ignition switch is original. Is there a way we can test the starter or ignition switch to see what the problem is? Thanks. It just started doing this and when it starts normally it cranks over really good.

key tumbler sticking a tad after starting causing the solenoid to stay engaged? have you replaced the starter relay?

Last edited:
Sounds like the bendix is sticking to me. You can try a remote starter switch and hook it straight to the starter and see how it acts without the key on then try it with the key on. Shouldn't make any difference except it'll start up when the key is on. If it acts ok this way, look for the relay to be at fault....and the chances for the ignition switch to be at fault is slim but they are really easy to check.

Auto Transport Service
Back