• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter recommendation

HD539

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a new starter for my 69 roadrunner. It has a 4 speed, 426 hemi. The hemi is a 1966. I’m running the stock manifolds. The starter that came off is a 3755259. I’m going to look at rebuilding it but wanted to hear the various recommendations. Thanks.

Is that a gear reduction starter or direct drive which 4 speeds came with until 1970? Rebuild the direct drive starter .

Everything I read makes me believe it’s a gear reduction starter. Would love to find a period correct direct drive starter but not having much luck. I plan to rebuild the removed starter as a spare. I’m pretty sure it needs a new starter drive and there’s no time like now to learn.

If solenoid is on outside it's direct drive. If it's Gear reduction starter save your self some trouble and get a mini starter. I bought one at Napa $60 they said they don't sell full size staters, I took the extra wire leads off. Pop off plastic cover and unbolt it. Don't connect battery until you main stud where battery lead is on doesn't touch the block. Fourth picture in DB electric shows plastic I removed that moves terminal leads to the rear. Picture of your starter??
https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...uth-super-torque-dodge-ram-truck-snd0088.html

The gear reduction starter is easy to rebuild. Starter drives & solenoid contacts should be available. Do both. If you go with the new mini starter, be aware, the plastic cap is not removable on all models, I know from experience.

If solenoid is on outside it's direct drive. If it's Gear reduction starter save your self some trouble and get a mini starter. I bought one at Napa $60 they said they don't sell full size staters, I took the extra wire leads off. Pop off plastic cover and unbolt it. Don't connect battery until you main stud where battery lead is on doesn't touch the block. Fourth picture in DB electric shows plastic I removed that moves terminal leads to the rear. Picture of your starter??
https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...uth-super-torque-dodge-ram-truck-snd0088.html
Thanks for the information, definitely helps. Here are a couple pics

142160EF-9FAC-4ABE-BE9B-6CFCE7862232.jpeg C4B6027A-DBEA-4417-83FC-F5FBA4BEB8E8.jpeg

case length differences- longer is better
four fields is better thn 3 fields and a shunt
but mini starter trumps

If you never done a mopar GR starter, a SM to show how to hold brushes in place helps. Watched a very handy guy struggle to put one together. I was 17 teen and never touched a starter.

Thanks Fran, I’ve taken it apart and put it together a few times now. Pretty comfortable with it. Now to find the parts needed for a rebuild.

Auto Transport Service
Back