• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Removal ??

Vermont Rock

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
70 Road Runner. I want to remove the steering wheel. It has the thin wheel with a 1/2 horn rim. I've seen two versions & cannot confirm that my wheel is original. One version has a 3" (?) cushion in the middle. But mine has no cushion, just a small plastic Road Runner insert that is about 1 1/2". I'm sure that under the insert is the retaining nut, but I don't want to bugger-up the insert & would appreciate any help. It just doesn't look like there is enough room under the insert to allow a puller after the nut is removed.

The factory workshop manual does not give details on the removal of the wheel. Suggestions ? Thanks, Rocket

I just back off the nut to protect the threads, and pull back on the wheel while tapping on the nut with a hammer. The wheel should loosen and pop off of there. You can also get a steering wheel puller from your auto parts store.

- - - Updated - - -

Send us a pic, that would help. There may be 3 phillips head screws under the horn pad you can remove to give more room.

If your car is nice....use the proper tools.

Use a thin screwdriver tip to pry the center emblem out. Remove the center nut so the horn ring is removed. Remove the horn adapter plate & the horn ring. Then, attach the steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel.

Watch where you pry the Roadrunner emblem from. I use a very small screwdriver on the left side of the emblem. Get the screwdriver between the emblem & the rubber. Pry up very lightly around it to loosen from the rubber. I believe there is a small plastic tab that protrudes from about the 2 o'clock position on the emblem. After the emblem is out, you can start to remove the steering wheel.

Chuck

You can borrow a steering wheel puller from Autozone.

Thanks to everyone for the info. WileERobby explained what I was looking for. That under the emblem there were additional fasteners that allow access for removal of the steering wheel. Too bad the workshop manual doesn't explain this further.
Great Forum. Great members. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back