• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel - Restore or Replace?

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
My steering wheel needs to be restored or replaced. I contacted Gary's and with shipping, etc it will be a tad over $900 (wheel, spokes, and shipping). Are the $550-$750 reproductions so bad that I should spend a couple hundred more to use the original steering wheel? Are there stamps or something that would make it obvious that it's a repro? Reproductions are Chrome where the restore would be more of a Chrome paint. I don't mind spending money where it makes sense, just want to be sure I'm not throwing it away.

Thanks
Ross

Pictures as everyone loves pictures

PXL_20240805_120418953.jpg

PXL_20240805_120423623.jpg

What type of steering wheel. I have repo standard wheel on both my 67 Coronet, and 71 RR.
20230507_172542.jpg

The reproduction wood wheels have spokes that are way to much like chrome. I could stand to have that in my car.

Restore an original.

The reproduction wood wheels have spokes that are way to much like chrome. I could stand to have that in my car.

Restore an original.
Good point - I appreciate the input.

Spray it with silver paint, DIY an eBay brown leather wrap, and throw a $870 keg party to show it off to all your pals and people who give you good ideas.

Repro wood wheels are about $800. Since its the same price as having your original redone. I would redo the original.

Spray it with silver paint, DIY an eBay brown leather wrap, and throw a $870 keg party to show it off to all your pals and people who give you good ideas.
Worth considering

I repaired the big craters on my 65 Coronet wheel with JB Weld, primed, and sprayed the spokes. Spent $95.00 for a leather wrap and I'm quite pleased with the results. Maybe $135.00 invested.
Mike
IMG_2073.JPG

The wood wheels are big dollars,I would have my american wheel redone. Chinas stuff is CRAP. JMO

My question is, what state is your Charger in? Interior complete and looks good etc etc? Is the car overall in good shape?

If it's a driver that's a little rough, try a DIY restoration. If she's in good shape and presentable, I would restore the original all the way. The repros are pretty obvious from what I have seen.

two_cents_kent brockman.jpg

I had 1970 Roadrunner on this site restore one for me several years ago. He was cheaper than Gary's and did a nice job.

I restored mine by removing the plastic surface. It had been ruined by years of baking in the Nevada sun. Then I found some heater hose that I split so it could wrap around the metal wheel. I then stitched a gray leather kit around it. The other parts were just painted.

nevada 20.jpg

nevada 7.jpg

20231004_151357.jpg

20240212_152655 (1).jpg

20240126_131633 (1).jpg

PXL_20231102_210535697.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back