• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strip, Fix Dents, Primer, Paint Exterior Only.

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve read recently in a post not to sandblast the exterior because of sand getting everywhere and not getting it out. I’m in need of stripping the whole exterior of the car, fixing the little dents, and then priming and painting the exterior of the car.

What’s the best and least expensive other options to strip the existing paint off?

The engine bay and interior are perfect B5 Blue!

IMG_7962.jpeg
IMG_7960.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well good ole DA with 80 grit and then 180 but 80 fine fill and sand should fill scratches. Cheaper with media blasting if you use the rite media for large panel areas and it saves time

get a couple gallons of aircraft stripper....... I used it recently after the internet told me they changed the formula and it no longer works

well, it worked as well as it always did.......... a little pricey, but it does most of the work

I put it on wet and cover it with plastic, the plastic keeps it from drying up.......... set it and forget it

Razor blade and a DA. One guy shredded 3 layers of paint off my Bee in one day that way. OE + 2 repaints..

This will be the 2nd car I have had media blasted. It all depends how deep of a restoration you want to go. The inside, engine area and trunk are
tuff and time consuming to strip. If the car is on a rotisserie it makes the job allot easier. But I do see the issue on getting the media out of the car.

I do not blast hoods, trunk lids or fenders.

20230725_153726 (1).jpg

get a couple gallons of aircraft stripper....... I used it recently after the internet told me they changed the formula and it no longer works

well, it worked as well as it always did.......... a little pricey, but it does most of the work

I put it on wet and cover it with plastic, the plastic keeps it from drying up.......... set it and forget it
any pics of product ? Im getting ready Mark.

I used this stripping tool with two different drums for my exterior skins -the abrasive 40 grit and the 120 grit finishing drum. Used the abrasive drum on the first pass to remove the paint and the go over it again with the 120 grit to prep for painting. Lots of drum grit choices. Two of each drum took care of nearly everything. For reference, my hood and trunk deck took about 2 hours each start to finish.
Surface Conditioning Tools

Get a variable speed buffer (single action) and use a large 80 grit disc on it to get almost all the way through the paint. Then switch to a DA with 80 grit. Stay off the edges with the 80 grit

This will be the 2nd car I have had media blasted. It all depends how deep of a restoration you want to go. The inside, engine area and trunk are
tuff and time consuming to strip. If the car is on a rotisserie it makes the job allot easier. But I do see the issue on getting the media out of the car.

View attachment 1716441

After it is blasted what are the steps? Do you prep and permanently prime everything to prevent rust, then remove the primer where you need to do metal work?

Thanks. What about the black that comes on AMD metal does that have to be removed or is it quality?

View attachment 1716441

Auto Transport Service
Back