• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut Bar Bushings

70VCode

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Was driving my 70 Charger home from work and it started this awful rattling sound from the front left when braking. Happened a couple more times while braking on my way home, so I threw on the 4 ways and limped it home. I also noticed that it did start to pull to the left after a little bit. I got some time to check it out today and this is what I found.

There was a little play in the drivers side bearing when the car was up in the air grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6. I grabbed the wheel at 3 and 9 and there was no movement. But I tried the 12 and 6 on the passenger side and there was still a little play but not as much. I got the wheel and drum off and everything appeared to be okay with the brake.

What I did find, or I guess did not find is there was no bushing on the drivers side strut on the front of the K frame. The bushing on the passenger side on the is crushed and split. I did find that when the car was on the ground I could move the drivers side strut rod by hand... so I believe I found that issue.

Now the question I have is should I just replace the bushings, or should I get the adjustable solid strut rods from QA1? I was going to put disk brakes on it once the tires age out (about 3 years left) so I may get the adjustable strut rods at some point any way. Is there any other benefit for going with the solid strut rods?

I appreciate any input, Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back