• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut Rod Removal Blues

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Well Fellas, as the title implies, I'm in a jam!
I'm removing the front suspension on my 75 Scamp (I know it's an A Body, but I think I know more of you from here as opposed to FABO)
FSM says to apply force from the rear of the strut rod.
Ok, makes sense, but there is a shoulder of sorts on the rod that holds the large washer in place.
What am I missing here? It can not remove rearward, and forward the shoulder jams the washer preventing removal.
HELP!
IMG_1703.jpg

And the other end...
IMG_1705.jpg

And from the front of K Frame.
IMG_1706.jpg

Yes. This IS my first rodeo with suspension this deep.

There is no lip on the front of the strut rod. Bolt, washer, bushing, K-Member, bushing, washer. You need to drop the lower a-arm.

There is no lip on the front of the strut rod. Bolt, washer, bushing, K-Member, bushing, washer. You need to drop the lower a-arm.
He's referring to the rear side of the strut at the washer, at the k-member... and it's a nut, not bolt.

I just went through this on my 72 Challenger. As stated, you must remove the lower control arm. This is one of those jobs that just keeps on adding parts to replace as long as it's apart. I ended up putting on new strut rod parts, new LCA bushings, new lower ball joint, new pivot shafts, and since I was in to it that far, new UCA bushings, Ball joints, new brake hoses, calipers, rotors and pads. It just kept multiplying but it's all rebuilt including new torsion bar seals. Oh, and new shocks, pitman arm, idler arm and power steering gear box. Here's the end result.
Terry W.

Psgr Suspension Brakes 2A.jpg

Steering Suspension 3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back