• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swirl marks

SteveSS

Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
So when a car I own came back from the body shop it had 0 swirl marks. It's black and perfect. Obviously, the car had been buffed out to get such a shiny finish. It seems like every time I touch a car it leaves swirl marks. How did they get rid of them and what can I do to not create them?

So when a car I own came back from the body shop it had 0 swirl marks. It's black and perfect. Obviously, the car had been buffed out to get such a shiny finish. It seems like every time I touch a car it leaves swirl marks. How did they get rid of them and what can I do to not create them?

Lots of YouTube videos on the subject.

Step one , don't get it dirty, don't wash it.
Anything that touches the paint will have some microscopic abrasiveness to it.
Step 2, look into a high end ceramic coat package.

I do like black cars but the paint maintenance to keep really nice is difficult.
A friend of mine painted a 68 Charger black and he has the same problem as you.

Dadsbee nailed it. The harder you try to get them out rubbing in circles the deeper you make the grooves.

For starters, rub on your paint as little as possible.

On horizontal surfaces work front to rear, on the vertical surfaces go up and down. That applies to everything from glaze to wax, to detailing products. It will make the inevitable spider web scratches less visible.

Never use a duster or detail spray in the sun.

Do not reuse microfiber cloths without washing first.

When applying wax or glaze I always use a new foam polishing pad, I’ll use the once used pad on my light green ‘58 then they get used on the daily drivers.

Black is a lot of work but nothing looks better when it’s done right…

IMG_4731.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back