• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T56 transmission question

kalaek

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if you would help me out. I hear alot of guys going with the T56 transmission 6speed with the new 6.1 Hemi, using a bell housing adapter. Would that set up only work with a certain T56 trans? or are all the T56 trans pretty much the same. My buddy has one out of a 96 camaro, but I noticed some cars are running the Viper t56.
I am really confused.
Thanks

From the research I have done (since I want a T-56 myself) I have found you need a trans from either a viper or behind a chevy LS series engine. The input shaft on the LT-1 chevy's is different and would have to be replaced to work. I believe if you buy a viper trans you don't need a bell housing since the viper used a small block bolt pattern, but I am not 100% sure about that. If anybody can confirm that please post.

Good to know! Thanks and if I do find out anything about the viper Trans I will definitely post

it would be cheaper and less hassle to find a tr6060 out of a challenger.

the Viper spec T56 uses a different input shaft than the LS series T-56... different spline count as well as a different length. I do not believe the Viper bellhousing will work - at least I have found no information regarding that. If anyone knows please post! I have a Viper spec T56 sitting in my shed ready to go behind my 6.1L - just saving up for a $500 bellhousing...

The torque capacity of the LS and the Viper spec transmissions are different as well IIRC.

the Viper spec T56 uses a different input shaft than the LS series T-56... different spline count as well as a different length. I do not believe the Viper bellhousing will work - at least I have found no information regarding that. If anyone knows please post! I have a Viper spec T56 sitting in my shed ready to go behind my 6.1L - just saving up for a $500 bellhousing...

The torque capacity of the LS and the Viper spec transmissions are different as well IIRC.

I believe quick time has a bell housing available for the LS series transmission adapted to the hemi. It is a different part number then that of the viper transmission. But yes you are correct on all accounts.

I have been going through the same research for my build. The best thing to do is find a TR6060 our of a new challenger. You can buy quicktimes SFI bell housing for about $500, the TR6060 can be found on car-parts.com for around $1500. If you are doing a 6.1 swap (even a 6.1 with a blower) the stock srt8 clutch is enough holding power. Anything bigger than a 6.1 or anything with significant boost is going to require an aftermarket clutch.

I have a quicktime bell for a small block mopar to a tko600/t-5 and can say they are a very very nice piece. SFI approved and just such a nice piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back