• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail light finish

HEMIGTX70

Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
Guys, I tore into the taillights for my 70 GTX. I wanted to clean them up and get them ready for installation. When I washed the housings, the silver coating inside the light area washed off. I was kind of in shock, but I guess after 54 years, parts lose thing also. My question is this, what should I use to replicate the silver coating? I remember years ago you could buy paint that to replace that silver, but I was looking around and could not find it. I was thinking of using Rustoleum Metallic Chrome paint.

Does anyone out there have a better suggestion?

Could someone post a picture of where and what is reflective silver on the housing?

Is it reflective where it would be the reflector area of the taillight or just down in the "holes" where the light bulbs are?

Thanks!

Painted the inner tail light housings for my 67 Coronet last week with Rustoleum Metallic Bright Chrome paint. Nice and reflective. Just try not to touch it after you get it painted. Still masked up in the pic below.

housing.jpg

The metallic paint mentioned will work IF you don’t touch it (turns grey)

I couldn't find anything better than metallic silver. I also found it strange that it just washed off !

Auto Transport Service
Back