• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature Sending Unit 440

RR Fan Dan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 RR but the 440 is not original. I'm searching for the electrical temperature sending unit that operates the stock gauge in the rallye cluster. I also have an aftermarket mechanical gauge installed under the dash. That sending unit is easy to find as it is in the standard location on top of the water pump. I have searched all around the water pump and can not find the electrical one. I am replacing the aftermarket mechanical gauge with an electric gauge and would like to run both wires to the same sending unit, provided one sending unit will work for both gauges. The service manual just says to remove the unit it does not show or say where it is.

You can not run both off one sender. Mechanical Gauge does not have a sender. Just follow the wire it should go direct to the sender. Post some pictures.

You can not run both off one sender. Mechanical Gauge does not have a sender. Just follow the wire it should go direct to the sender. Post some pictures.
Why can't I run both off of one sender. Its just an electrical signal. I cant find the wire to the stock gauge. That is why I am asking. I understand the mechanical gauge does not have a sender but it does have a fitting.

On w/pump between htr hoses & alternator.

IMG_7525.jpeg

Why can't I run both off of one sender. Its just an electrical signal. I cant find the wire to the stock gauge. That is why I am asking. I understand the mechanical gauge does not have a sender but it does have a fitting.
Because the gauges will require different values in the senders. You need to look harder and trace the wire from the bulkhead. How do you expect the factory gauge to work if you do not find the wire?

How do you expect the factory gauge to work if you do not find the wire?
The factory gauge works already. So does the mechanical gauge. I was looking for the factory electronic sending unit so I could use it. But you are telling me I can't. I will just run the new electrical gauge that is replacing the mechanical gauge off of a sensor installed where the mechanical gauge is installed. It is impossible to trace the wire for the factory gauge since everything comes out of the firewall in a wrapped wiring harness.

OE Stock sending units will not operate an aftermkt gauge

My stock sending unit is drivers side, but its a 66. 67 and later is pass side facing forward like posted above . It will have a single Violet color wire with a 90degree push on connector
I also run an aftermkt mechanical gauge and it has its own sending unit mounted in the water pump hsg near the hear hose fittings

sender1.jpg

sender2.jpg

OE Stock sending units will not operate an aftermkt gauge

My stock sending unit is drivers side, but its a 66. 67 and later is pass side facing forward like posted above . It will have a single Violet color wire with a 90degree push on connector
I also run an aftermkt mechanical gauge and it has its own sending unit mounted in the water pump hsg near the hear hose fittings

View attachment 1729099

View attachment 1729100
Thanks. I don't have anything on top of the water pump that is electrical.

The factory gauge works already. So does the mechanical gauge. I was looking for the factory electronic sending unit so I could use it. But you are telling me I can't. I will just run the new electrical gauge that is replacing the mechanical gauge off of a sensor installed where the mechanical gauge is installed. It is impossible to trace the wire for the factory gauge since everything comes out of the firewall in a wrapped wiring harness.
Thats why I said post some pictures. That sender is right in front of your face.

The oil sending unit on the 440 block is at the rear, not the front, of the engine, just behind the intake manifold, and the top of the engine block, just in front of the transmission.

images-q-tbn-and9gcrnjskpm5tlungc-kqj7fuxqxkuuvoyiw6_dw-usqp-cau-jpg.1041098
oil-press-units-jpg.115906

That sender is right in front of your face.
The factory electronic sending gauge is not right in front of my face. That is what I am looking for. My original post was to find it, not go down some other rabbit hole tangents like you are going.

The factory electronic sending gauge is not right in front of my face. That is what I am looking for. My original post was to find it, not go down some other rabbit hole tangents like you are going.
Well if you posted some pictures some one could help you. Its obvious you know nothing about what you are looking for.

Auto Transport Service
Back