• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texting..........

Chryco69

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
The bottom of several Craigslist adds-------"DO NOT TEXT! I WILL NOT RESPOND!!!"

Adds where the person wants $15k+ for a car that he has restored with no pictures. And when you ask he gets offended.

I have met guys who have had a nervous break down because they received a text message from someone inquiring about an auto part or car that they have posted on Craigslist.

Is it really that big of a deal? What is the difference between an e-mail or a phone call?

"I don't know how to do that texting stuff, with pictures and all that"

In summary,

You can install the suspension, engine, transmission, and wiring from a 2007 Hemi Charger into a 1939 Dodge Coupe, but cannot send a text message on your cell phone or take a picture?

Last edited:
Just yesterday someone that I do not know at all .sent me a text with pics of some wheels he has for sale. Come to find out a friend of mine gave him my number thinking I was still looking for a set. I didn't get pissed though. Come to find out after texting him my answer about the wheels that he does have a few Mopar parts I may need. So Im thankful for it.

I hate texting...my big stoopid thumbs and those little keys on my phone...any more than a few words and my thumbs start to hurt...give me a key board or call me to talk about something is best for me

A co-worker got some nude photos texted to him by some woman he did not know. He's in his 60's and she was hot... I wish I was that lucky..

I hate texting...my big stoopid thumbs and those little keys on my phone...any more than a few words and my thumbs start to hurt...give me a key board or call me to talk about something is best for me

X2 I don't even want to learn how to send a text.

I've had two separate Craigslist sales in which the buyer showed up and texted me from the driveway that they were there. How about getting out of your car and ringing the friggin' doorbell!!!!!

I've had two separate Craigslist sales in which the buyer showed up and texted me from the driveway that they were there. How about getting out of your car and ringing the friggin' doorbell!!!!!

I've had 'em sit in my driveway and blow their horns. I don't answer the door either. Back to subject. I can do or not with texting. If they don't want any text messages, than they will have to state a way to contact them.

There's plenty of things that I don't like about texting and I won't waste your or my time listing them all here, but one of the main things is that people that text automatically expect an immediate response, and if they don't get it they get pissed. Well you know what, F 'em. I'm that hard to get in touch with. Call me or email me. If I think it's important enough I'll call you back.

I've had 'em sit in my driveway and blow their horns. I don't answer the door either. Back to subject. I can do or not with texting. If they don't want any text messages, than they will have to state a way to contact them.

I agree. If I'm the seller, how to contact me (home phone, cell phone, e-mail, texting, skywriting, etc.) is MY choice and I should say how to contact me. If a seller doesn't like my choices, then go someplace else.

People should also recognize that not everyone has paid to get unlimited texting. Many pay $0.20 or $0.25 per regular text, and up to $1.00 for picture texts.

I agree that people should respect a seller's wishes as far as how to be contacted (or not).

don't text...disabled it...don't see any sense in it

The best thing about texting is some one cant say that they never said something when you have a record of it. Also it is good to be able to look back and find info when you have forgotten it. The over 50s like me will like this one. I have even texted my self lists instead of righting things down.

Allowing someone to call or text you on Craig's List could be risky if it would be a scammer. I've had to contact my phone service to block such a person. The best thing to do if you are a seller on there is not to give out your phone number in you add and have them contact you thru the site to your email. Then if they seem legit give them your number. That's why you're not allowed to post numbers and emails in for sale adds here, on FBBO

The best thing about texting is some one cant say that they never said something when you have a record of it. Also it is good to be able to look back and find info when you have forgotten it. The over 50s like me will like this one. I have even texted my self lists instead of righting things down.

If you have phone that can text, you should have a notepad app on it somewhere.

don't text...disabled it...don't see any sense in it

Agreed, I cant understand it, buy a cell phone and then sit there and text back and forth for an hour.. Its a phone call them!

There is a use for texting. Sometimes, you're in a setting where you can't make a phone call but you can discretely send or receive a text. I was at a wake recently, when I got a text with a question from work. It was a yes or no and I was able to text back without walking out. Also, my kids ( and alot of kids these days) will answer my texts when they are with a group of friends but not my calls where they will be seen as having Dad (or Mom) checking up on them. It's the reality of the times, whether we accept/like it or not.

Agreed, I cant understand it, buy a cell phone and then sit there and text back and forth for an hour.. Its a phone call them!

There is a use for texting. Sometimes, you're in a setting where you can't make a phone call but you can discretely send or receive a text. I was at a wake recently, when I got a text with a question from work. It was a yes or no and I was able to text back without walking out. Also, my kids ( and alot of kids these days) will answer my texts when they are with a group of friends but not my calls where they will be seen as having Dad (or Mom) checking up on them. It's the reality of the times, whether we accept/like it or not.

This is true, and can be handy but ive seen several times my daughters would have a complete conversation with there husbands, when i ask why don't you just call him? they laugh and tell me its the new times dad, it isint the 70's anymore, a quick note yea i can agree, a 1/2 hour conversation id rather dial a number and talk. MHO, its a phone and i would call to have a conversation, ive had others tell us the same thing, they would rather text then talk, its there phone but im not going to try to type on one of them things if i can just call them..

Makes people feel a little uncomfortable sometimes though. Maybe you have a relative that lives with you that you did not inform that someone was coming over, and they answer the door offensively. Been there.

Makes people feel a little uncomfortable sometimes though. Maybe you have a relative that lives with you that you did not inform that someone was coming over, and they answer the door offensively. Been there.[/QUOTE

Maybe there is a trap door under the doormat, but again maybe your text will cause an explosive in the driveway to go off under your car...

The reason many CL folks don't want texts or emails is you tend to get a LOT of scammers. It's very hard to scam using a phone call because the "buyer" has to actually engage in a conversation and they don't like doing that because questions they can't answer tend to come up.

I got this a lot when I was selling the engine from my road runner. I would get emails and texts that went "I would like to buy your engine. Do you still have it?", and I would reply "Yes. What are you wanting to put it in?" and I would never hear from them again. This is why scammers don't like calling their victims. A real buyer will have a story to tell, but a scammer won't.

Auto Transport Service
Back