• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The heat

JackR

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:40 PM
Reaction score
Yeah the desert gets hot. I’m so over summer already though. It’s never bothered me until this year

IMG_0520.jpeg

that's too hot... :carrot:

they say it's a dry heat :poke:

Yeah, come feel our 99 degree heat and 99% humidity.

I bet you won't trade.

I grew up in south Florida and my parents never had air conditioning. My first house only had an attic fan. I guess I’m not only an old fart, I’ve become accustomed to a/c now.
Also, lore has it that a dry June means a hurricane is in the future. Up where we are in central part of the state, June was very dry and so far in July, we have only had about 3/4” of rain.

Yesterday was 93 here and Humid today more of the same..

I love...weather. Hot summers make my joints work better (lots of metal in my legs). I enjoy physical work, and sweating. I'm rehabbing an apartment now to get it ready for rental, and I have the a/c off and windows open even though temps are low 90s and fairly humid.

I appreciate winter, too - I love snow, I like the cold, I like the temperature contrast of the seasons.

I grew up camping - 2 months every year, I lived in a tent in the mountains. Warm(hot) days, nights in the 50s and 60s, no climate control of any kind. Lots of contrast. I also have a couple million miles behind motorcycle handlebars - hot day, you drop down in a hollow and cross a creek and you can feel the temp change. Or, you get up out of a valley and into the sunlight and immediately feel the heat. I've had people call me crazy in June because I'm wearing my heated jacket for an after dinner ride. Couple hours later, when the temps drop below 60 and we're rollin' along at 65-75mph? They're shivering in their summer gear, while I'm nice and comfy with my jacket on low and my heated grips on medium.

The trick is to pace yourself in the heat, and hydrate. Sure, you sweat more...but you don't pass out. I was out in 96* weather and high humidity yesterday, doing a shop day on my concert equipment since it got packed up wet the night before.

The more you're in and out of climate control, the worse the temperature extremes will feel. Stay "in the weather" - with minimal climate control - and your body acclimates to the surroundings and you don't notice it near as much. Example - as a northerner, when I go to FL for the holidays to visit mom, I'm wearing shorts and tee shirts because it's 50 and I'm used to 30. Locals? Are bundled up like Nanook of the North, because they're used to it being all-the-time-warm down there.

behind motorcycle handlebars - hot day, you drop down in a hollow and cross a creek and you can feel the temp change. Or, you get up out of a valley and into the sunlight and immediately feel the heat
Well stated. One of my favorite experiences on a bike .... that and the smells. Don't think you truly experience either unless in the wind on two wheels, maybe in a convertable.

Well stated. One of my favorite experiences on a bike .... that and the smells. Don't think you truly experience either unless in the wind on two wheels, maybe in a convertable.
My wrangler - no doors or top - is close.

But not quite.

And I agree on the smells. Farmers barbequing. Fresh cut hat or grass. That rich aroma of the woods. Smell of recent rain. Flowers. Honeysuckle especially. Sometimes...not so great though. Rotting "dead thing", skunks, and recently, massive clouds of pot smoke if you're behind the wrong car....but, it's all part of the experience!

When I was much younger I loved winter & snow
skiing & sledding or quads
In Calif you can ski in the AM & surf in the afternoon if your so inclined
did it a couple times too...
I' still take the warm over the cold, anyday...
Hell I lived in Palmer & Anchorage Alaska for 3 year/almost 4 with 4 winters
I know real cold
I worked in Prudhoe Bay, 3 stints a year, 7 days a week in freezing cold
8 hrs on 4 off 12 on 8 off/16 days in a row,
you never knew what day or what time it was
The sun was rarely up, when I was there
then we got 14 days off & that was cool
come back do it all over again
No booze no drugs no women, great food & Polar Bears thou... :poke:
If not for making about $1,000+ a day (in the mid 80's) after the like 5th day
I'd have never done it...

Now SNOW (Devils Dandruff) it's just a P.I.M.A.,
clearing it so dad won't slip & die or break a hip :blah:
him always in a 'full on whin' about he's always cold...
$300-$400 Electricity bills, you can have that crap...

I like to say- "on a motorcycle, you can feel every single degree".

40 degree swing is pretty severe.

July is brutal up here, most other warm/hot months the breeze
from the marine layer comes in from on the coast (225+ miles east)
& we get a nice breeze up here on the mountain, thru the valley
when that happens, but it doesn't happen much in July...

Born & raised in Calif. since July 1959, Concord Memorial

left for school 1978 after a year of JC, to go to U of Oregon
Sept. to May, come home for summers, until 81

& later mid 80s helping my sister in Anchorage & Palmer Alaska
with her kids, after her divorce
That was cold, but more of a dry cold, not like it is here
wet cold goes right thru ya', even if it isn't as cold temp wise...

I did a short stint in Missouri, for a friend/race sponsor Tom H.,
Springfield area redoing a dragstrip he bought there
90*s + & 90% humidity No Thanks

I managed it for 1 spring summer into the fall & moved back again
it was outright humid & miserable, shower, change your **** & underwear
a couple times a day from the sweat, unless you wanted to reek of body/butt-crack odor
I hated it, really nice place, relatively nice people, but way too freaken' humid...

Fire hazards are my biggest fears, up here, with extremely low humidity
if it was 100*+f or above & humid (like some places in other states)
I'd have never moved or stayed here...

I've been all over the USA, raced in 47 states
I kept coming back here because of the weather...

I worked three 2 - 2 1/2 hour shifts today...... and it was brutal

Auto Transport Service
Back