• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth Thinking of buying this, little help please!

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Saw this 70 Charger 500 SE a little while ago and now it is posted on e-bay.

I know it has some issues and some of the parts (like the instrument cluster, air cleaner, and front disc brakes are/may not be correct) but the car itself is savable. The A/C is long gone but I think I found a complete set-up.
Not to keep but to restore and pass on to another.

Some thoughts would be nice either in a PM or here.

My thought is that these cars, finished to a pretty high standard, would bring 45-65 K but my knowledge is limited when it comes to 2nd gen chargers.

I am right on the fence about this one. Problems being it is 12 hours away and that is a little $$$$$ just to go check it out. Wasted money if I turn around and walk away. Second issue it that there is considerable work to be done, not that I can't do it but maybe a better investment would be a better condition car for a little more money. My offer would not be what the seller wants.

Anyway, thoughts either way would be great. Who knows, maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of pulling the trigger.

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166940032984?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D273438%26meid%3Ddfa63215000842099f6f121474f0ecc4%26pid%3D101949%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D166940032984%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2WithMLRV6RankerPricelessTop30FeaturesAndWatchlistFilter&_trksid=p4375194.c101949.m162918&_trkparms=parentrq%3A15b2b5b51920ab1c06718a0dffff87b8%7Cpageci%3Aa868ea07-7841-11ef-8fe3-be31684194a6%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage

You will have 25 plus in it if not more. Ask me how I know.

IMG_20220902_172310 (1).jpg

20240917_184922.jpg

The ad says big block but does not say what size so will guess 383

Does not sound like you have had one before with any spare bits around either
Your goal is to sell it for a profit are you going to change the 1/4s or just patch them ? Trunk floor change or patch ? One thing leads to another .....

For sale is a 1970 Dodge Charger Special Edition Package (code A47), excellent candidate for full restoration, big block, 8 3/4 rear end, automatic transmission, charcoal and black leather bucket seats, console, factory air conditioning, power disc brakes. Scheduled build date December 1969. The fender tag, door tag vin both match the dash tag. There is some rust around the window channel, lower 1/4 panel, tail light panel, trunk floors, and floor. Very hard to find this complete.

Your goal is to sell it for a profit are you going to change the 1/4s or just patch them ? Trunk floor change or patch ? One thing leads to another .....

I know it has some issues and some of the parts (like the instrument cluster, air cleaner, and front disc brakes are/may not be correct) but the car itself is savable. The A/C is long gone but I think I found a complete set-up.

My thought is that these cars, finished to a pretty high standard, would bring 45-65 K but my knowledge is limited when it comes to 2nd gen chargers.

I am right on the fence about this one. Problems being it is 12 hours away and that is a little $$$$$ just to go check it out. Wasted money if I turn around and walk away. Second issue it that there is considerable work to be done, not that I can't do it but maybe a better investment would be a better condition car for a little more money. My offer would not be what the seller wants.

Anyway, thoughts either way would be great. Who knows, maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of pulling the trigger.

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166940032984?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D273438%26meid%3Ddfa63215000842099f6f121474f0ecc4%26pid%3D101949%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D166940032984%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2WithMLRV6RankerPricelessTop30FeaturesAndWatchlistFilter&_trksid=p4375194.c101949.m162918&_trkparms=parentrq%3A15b2b5b51920ab1c06718a0dffff87b8%7Cpageci%3Aa868ea07-7841-11ef-8fe3-be31684194a6%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage
Remember its 1 year only on some of the parts. Fenders are crazy money

68-70 Chargers are a good investment if looking at the car as that. That said I think you would put 40k into that easily to make a decent car.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, just an honest realistic assessment...
$50k-$70k to restore it (easily) & you may not get you $$ back out of it

She's rusty, it'd be a serious project/undertaking, in costs & hrs of work
hell it'll be thousands just in shipping parts probloby
at least it has a BB/383, an A/c car makes it a bit more desirable
probably just a 2bbl base model thou, not as attractive in the resale market
as like a R/T model is

not a lot of 70 Charger stuff/sheet-metal available in aftermarket
& the stuff that is, is not cheap
Better hope the front fenders are good, damn near (not really, but close)
the cost of that whole car,
floor-pans & trunk-pans
the 68-69 stuff should work, redo the different in the lights areas

When you see stuff like that,
when the bottom rear of the quarters
especially when floors & trunk are already rusted out/spaghetti strainers

There are rusty inner fender wells & outer wheel wells, quarters (or the roof)
don't look good usually also
when those areas have rust too
Around the base of the rear window channel corners,
sail panel look on the underside, damn near guarantee
it's rusted out from underside too
when the back is that bad & probably around the front windshield too
all will need rust repair

It's gonna' be a serious undertaking/project in body/sheet metal & in paint
none of which is inexpensive, most not for a novice either
(not that you are really a novice, but you're asking so it's worth mentioning)

Next the gauges, underdash wiring, fuse box ect.
& interior (or any trim/chrome etc.) will not be cheap either,
when rusty like that car is on the outside
they are rusty in the interior too, none of that stuff is inexpensive/cheap

It would be a big investment, may not make much after you're done
& when they are 'that gone', what you see it probably only 1/3rd or what's gone
they tend to be a money pit

It depends on how much you can do yourself,
or willing to spend & do yourself or have to pay someone else
you will be upside down on it/costs

engine, trans & rear, suspension, brakes, that easy stuff
the electrical, the whole fuel system, tank/sender straps & every aspect of it
all the plumbing hoses & tubing, will all need replacing etc.

it Probably won't make any $$, flipping it if you do it right,
"you will be deep in it"
need to check out the k-member, front subframe & crossmember/s,
the under structure, holding the rusty floor, tunnel/trunk
you'll probably need a rotisserie to do much of it
& make a jig to keep it square & straight

yeah you can do it 'on jacks stands', on the floor of the garage
but it's considerably harder, less room to work
& harder to keep straight & true

Electrical will all need to be gone thru, starting at the instrument cluster, dash
& especially the firewall bulkhead connections, engine, under-dash harness,
Lights front harness & rear electrical harness

let alone running lights & blinker/parking lights housings, brake lights/trim/lenses etc.
sockets are generally rusted out when in that shape
any or most of the trim, chrome, bumpers, will probably all be trash too
re-chroming is not cheap, some of that stuff is not re-popped either
grill & trim are going to be expensive

then there's the whole interior, is not cheap either, foam, seat covers,
rusted seat frames, will need attention, trim & all the hardware,
will nickel, dime & $100 bill you to death

Literally ever aspect & part, nut or bolt, lil' clip or rubber seal etc.
on that car will need to be touched or gone thru, restored or bought & replaced...

I hear & see it all the time
people, even experienced car people, have no idea/no real clue
how much actual work & the actual costs of this type/shape of car is...
they bail on after buying a bunch of parts,
end up selling for 1/2 of what they got in it...

Good luck if that's something you want to take on...

Last edited:

Only big block available in a '70 Charger 500 was the 383.

Thank you all for the replies. My biggest concern it that the more money I put into the car the better I have to finish it. An example: Cost 15K, parts and pieces 20K so 35K total, could sell at 45K and be fine with it not having every piece perfect. Now if the parts and pieces go to 30K now total is 45K so I have to sell for 55K to get the same money. Problem is that if I buy a car for 55K it better be damn well done, not just good. So now I have to work a lot harder to make it near perfect. And on and on, the higher the price the better the work has to be so the labor goes up and up to the point that there is no money to be made. Fine if I am doing it for my own project, not so much for a fun investment ( I really like restoring these cars). So the decision has to be made of where after market parts being acceptable stops, and OEM parts starts. That is the fine line a restorer has to draw. I know I could use a lot of aftermarket and keep the finished cost at a reasonable level, but will the current market support that car costing, say 55K. Lot of risk, not so much reward, other than pride in workmanship.

The heater hoses have been cut off but not capped so I thing that is just an engine that has been sat in the car
I agree, the heater and lower rad hose have been cut off, and dont see any power steering hoses on the pump. The 8 3/4 rearend is missing the third member. So there is no drive shaft hooked up either. More than likely this is not the original engine.
Looks like it would need quaters, trunk floor, partial or complete floor, at a minimum. The front valance is missing.
I Think you be better off to keep looking for a better car.

Disc brakes, maybe the front rails are okay but don't count on it. Rear rails are done. A/C car with a 68-69 non A/C 383. Looks fairly complete. I've seen worse for the same $$$ but don't fool yourself it's a knock down, drag out full project no doubt about it.
Money is subjective but you don't seem to see Chargers this complete for any less these days. If you really want one then this is one route to take. Ad says make offer and I would for a bit less.
BTW Chargers are a PITA to sew the back end together, a lot trickier than a "normal" B-body, just so you know what you're getting into.

I looked over the pics of this car a lot and never noticed the missing third member. A second set of eyes is a great thing. I did ask about the rear gear ratio and the owner stated he would have to look for it. Hmmmmm, I thought by looking he meant looking under the car for the tag, not flipping it over in his hands to read the gear ratio. It is looking more and more like it was thrown together to present as a mostly complete car but that, in fact, is not the case.
Lots to think about!

This is how I see my charger But mine was complete 1 owner car. Solid but still needed metal work. A grand just to fix the drivers front fender. Think hard my friend and good luck.
:lol:
1726946241896.jpeg

Thanks

Thanks for posting the link, but
threads on FBBO need to include pictures and info from the advertisement. The ebay link will be dead in the near future and this FBBO thread will serve no purpose if info and some of the pictures are not preserved here.

I follow '70 Chargers and so I'll include some of the pictures below for posterity:

Screenshot_20240921-145230~2.png
Screenshot_20240921-145135~2.png
s-l400 (1)~2.jpg
s-l400 (3)~2.jpg
s-l400 (5)~2.jpg
s-l400 (7)~2.jpg
s-l1200 (1)~4.jpg
s-l400 (6)~2.jpg
s-l400 (9)~3.jpg
s-l400 (4)~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240921-145135~3.png

A 1970 XP29 is a Charger 500 and was not available with the "U" code 440, nor any other 440 for that matter.

The air cleaner pictured in his engine bay shot looks like it's for a 383 2 barrel engine.

The instrument cluster looks like one from a '70 Charger 500.

The dash panel on the passenger side appears to be the factory woodgrain item. A '70 Charger 500 would have the black crinkle piece and would match the instrument panel piece he has pictured.

The headlight door is missing the 500 emblem.

The tail panel is missing altogether.

Automatic floor shift console car with disc brakes. That's nice.

It's not even a good parts car.

Take the money needed to buy and restore this car and buy a brand new '23 Hellcat Challenger Jailbreak instead. You'll be money ahead.

just-walk-away (1).jpg
Hes Right You Know 23112023201048.jpg

It's going to sell for maybe 25k and then the new owner will face replacing the back half and bottom of the car. It's not a car worth picking up to work on and pass on to a new owner unless you like giving your time and money away for free.

I could see a possible profit in flipping the car by cleaning everything, assemble the interior, put a chunk in the axle, a radiator, fix whatever is going on with the brakes, and get ti to move under its own power. Anything more than that and you are going in the hole.

Unless you have the expertise of replacing all that metal and doing the paint and body work yourself, you’re going to drop over 40 - 50 grand on the body alone to have it professionally done.

Add another 10+ grand on the drivetrain, 5 grand on the interior, A grand on the suspension, another grand on the brake system, 2 grand on wheels and tires. Now add wiring, radiator, dash rebuilding, chrome, trim, gaskets, windshield, wiper system, heater, and on & on it goes. You can be up to 75 grand, not including the cost of the car before you know it.

I agree with the idea that it looks thrown together from various cars. That can be a real mess. Much rather have a complete and crusty one.

Auto Transport Service
Back