• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing light showing wrong info?

icetech

Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Soo.. finally got a timing light, got a Innova 3568a, never used a digital light before, hooked it up and had to advance the light to 45 degrees at idle just to get the line on the balancer to zero.. at 2500rpm i was at 65 degrees, this seems a bit off. Balancer line is at zero with the piston at TDC so it hasn't slipped.. I have never heard of this but could a timing light flash at the wrong time?

The motor is just a 1975 318 with stock balancer/cover, a bit too much cam.. the timing did bounce a a degree or 2 at idle but smoothed out with a bit of rpm.

Mostly just curious if anyone has heard of this.. I do have like 4 40 year old lights still in boxes that have been sitting around well.. forever, thinking of timing taping the balancer and checking with one of those (no dial back or anything)

Thanks..

P.S. not a capacitive ignition, just a pertronix conversion..

I have seen the old dial back light off like that first for A DIGITAL ONE ON ME.

I have seen the old dial back light off like that first for A DIGITAL ONE ON ME.
yeah, i don't know why i expect stuff to just work when i get it :)

And before anyone asks, i was on #1 cyl.... would be hilarious if i wasn't though..

Take a old non dial back just to second check it.

Your balancer could be junk. Find #1 tdc and see where the mark is.

Your balancer could be junk. Find #1 tdc and see where the mark is.
Did that before i even started just to make sure.. it was in the right place.. Mainly just wanted to see if this was a known issue with the newer lights, seems not... going to double check it with a old school light in a couple of days to see for sure.

I just borrowed my friend's Innova digital light when my old dial back quit. Results seemed reasonable to me. I had 55 total with vacuum connected, which is why I asked.

I just borrowed my friend's Innova digital light when my old dial back quit. Results seemed reasonable to me. I had 55 total with vacuum connected, which is why I asked.
No prob.. and thanks :) I think 45 is a bit much for initial but maybe my motor is just really advanced for what it is :)

Get a non advance and see, seriously they will screw you up!

Are you running an MSD?
No, pertronix, i got a new timing light.. just haven't tried it yet and double checked the timing mark on the harmonic and added timing tape. got the carb off right now making sure floats are right and double checking everything.

I just marked my damper at 35 degrees so I can double check total advance.

I just marked my damper at 35 degrees so I can double check total advance.
well my total was coming in at 65 so something was wrong.. that first timing light died the second time i used it so i'm pretty sure it was the issue.. this time i bought a old school no frills normal light

well my total was coming in at 65 so something was wrong.. that first timing light died the second time i used it so i'm pretty sure it was the issue.. this time i bought a old school no frills normal light
Was the vacuum advance still hooked up? Un plug it at the dist and plug the hose with a golf tee or screw.

Was the vacuum advance still hooked up? Un plug it at the dist and plug the hose with a golf tee or screw.
nope.. hasn't been hooked at all yet even :) I will play with it when i get the carb back on (Waiting for a week for a pack of E-Clips to show up) and report back

Auto Transport Service
Back