• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing questions

cloby

Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello. I recently swapped my distributor because the old one had a bad pick up coil and hall effect sensor. When I swapped to the new one I set my timing and it feels like it's missing a little bit. To help you all out with a little more details I recently swapped my stock 2 barrel on my 318 with a 4 barrel Holley and Edelbrock 2176 manifold. I did that before I swapped the distributor. I'm just confused on what my timing should be. It'll come out of it but I gotta put my foot down for it to come out of it. It will run and drive fine but feels like it has a misfire. I really appreciate the input and help with this.

I time my engines with a vacuum gauge. Advance the distributor until vacuum peaks and back off a smidgen. Adjust your curb idle down. Hit it with a timing light to see where you are. Then you need to see all in timing by revving the motor and see what advance timing you have. Small block should be around 34-35 degrees. This can only be adjusted by welding the advance plate in the distributor. It is also a good idea to drive it to ensure you don't have detonation.

Sounds like the curve in the new one is less than desirerable.

Auto Transport Service
Back