• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tired and abused 440

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
So I have this 70 GTX 440/4 auto that I picked up from another guy that was his project car. He was having health issues so he decided to let it go and here I am. I have been working on it starting from the back going forward. Well I have gotten to the point to make it run and drive again. The engine is all original and needs a lot of work. I start with belts and hoses to get the cooling system operational.
See this thread for T stat issue. Rad ID help and T stat miracle
The valve covers had leaked so bad nothing in the front would ever rust, so off they came. Man is it cruddy inside. With a documented minimum 125000 mi I think the oil has been changed 4 times. After a little investigation I find there are several rocker arms very loose. Upon spinning the push rods I see some that don't act right and a couple that might be in contact with the head. This is not good. I pull the rocker arms and sure enough there are 6 bent push rods. 3 on each side. I pull the intake to see inside and see nothing that looks out of order for now. Pop the lifters out and several are dished on the bottom which is probably from lack of maintenance, but no cam lobes wiped out.
DSC01904.JPG
DSC01905.JPG

So I'm thinking I'll need to put a cam and lifters in it, and some new push rods to get it on the road. In the process of removing the timing cover for the cam, it comes right off with part of the pan gasket glued to the bottom of it. Now I'm thinking someone has been inside of here before. After getting it off I find this.
DSC01903.JPG

A practically new plastic tooth cam sprocket with just a little wear. Now I'm thinking new cam sprocket, bent push rods equal one thing. The timing gear has gone out of this at some time. So I do some more investigation with my cheapo borescope camera to see what's in the oil pan. I flush the pan with some cleaning solvent and no big chunks come out so I look inside and the oil pickup screen is clear with no timing gear teeth sucked into it. Seems odd to me but I'll take it as a small win.
So now it's back to getting the cam out. In the process again I find this.
DSC01897.JPG
DSC01895.JPG
DSC01899.JPG

The pushrod for the fuel pump has the end worn off severely, and the lobe on the cam has worn down as well. You see how much the pushrod has worn compared to a new one. Now I'm thinking I have the whole top end open is there any chance there is any further damage from this. I decide to go a head and bite the bullet and pull the heads to see for sure. Well here's what I find.
DSC01906.JPG
DSC01907.JPG

This is only #1 and 3 pistons as they all look the same. Smiley faces on every one. Seems the exhaust hit 1,7,2,8 and intake on 3,5,4,6. None any worse than this. I haven't looked at the heads but this is livable here.
I start cleaning stuff up to go back together and decide I better look at the cam bearings just to make sure we can put it back together safely. The straw that broke the camels back.
DSC01902.JPG

This is the number 3 cam bearing. It has started coming apart. I've never seen one do this before. Usually they are just worn through, but it is coming apart. Anybody seen one do this? Is it just a product of the lack of maintenance, or would the cam gear going bad and the valves contacting the pistons have something to do with it too?
Now I have no choice but to pull it out and start from scratch. I'm hoping now that the crank is okay. I just built a 493 stroker for my 65 Coronet last winter, spending mucho denero, and was hoping to just do some normal maintenance on this and get it on the road. I might have to find a job and go back to work to pay for my toys. Nobody said this hobby was cheap.

Most muscle cars led a very hard life,your car is living proof!

That looks like it’s probably an original cam timing gear. The originals were plastic coated on the teeth or something like it.

Last edited:
Apply some JB Weld judiciously in a few areas, straighten out the push rods etc and you're good to go.:rofl: Just kidding!

This car had a trailer hitch on it so there's no telling what it was used for. Some people just don't realize what happens to an engine when you fail to maintain it, and some just don't care. In 1986 I bought a 78 Ford 1/2 ton truck for $750 from a guy that didn't change oil and lost a rod bearing, so he parked it.

Well the engine has been disassembled and found to be worn out everywhere. The mains were scored pretty bad and a couple of rod bearings were close to failure with nothing but copper left, but none had spun. So it's at the machine shop as we speak. They called me today to say the crank will end up at 0.010/0.010, and the cylinders will be good at 0.030 over. All I need now are parts. While cleaning all the misc parts for reassembly I was washing the oil pickup and it was making a clinking noise. I laid a towel on the floor and tapped the pickup on it and this is what I got.

DSC01914.JPG

There are the remnants of the original timing gear that I has suspected had gone bad. With the bearings being as bad as they were I didn't even take the oil pump apart. I just threw it in the junk pile. Luckily she will live to see another day as this is the numbers matching engine for this car.

Auto Transport Service
Back