• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission holding fixture

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
I see plenty of bench and engine stand adaptable holding fixtures for gm transmissions. Is there a fixture designed to hold the 727 to make rebuilding much easier?

Yes, there are a couple of good versions. The factory "cradle" holds the transmission upside down and level so you can
work on it on top of the workbench. The other attaches to an engine stand. I like the bench top model. You can make
one up pretty easy.

You can make your own out of 2x4's. I used this for a 518 build.
20240204_180949.jpg

Yes, there are a couple of good versions. The factory "cradle" holds the transmission upside down and level so you can
work on it on top of the workbench. The other attaches to an engine stand. I like the bench top model. You can make
one up pretty easy.
Any idea where it is sold

First here is the picture from the FSM

Next here is where I took it and ran with an idea. The stand comes apart in 2 pieces and can either lay flat to have the trans pan up on a workbench or with 3 bolts you can stand the whole Trans vertical

Trans Stand 1.jpg

Trans Stand 2.jpg

Trans Stand.jpg

I have been rebuilding TFs since 1970 and every one was laying on it's side on my bench. Now Fords and GMs I use a home built fixture that fits all my engine stands. I also fabbed a servo installation helper.
Mike
Servo Piston Tool.JPG

Just so everyone understands that when doing final end-play check on the transmission, The full weight
of the case and all of the components need to be on the spline end of the output shaft! The snap ring
on the output shaft bearing needs to be pushed to the front of the unit.

I just use a 24" drift pin clamped in my bench vise, slid the transmission down over it tailshaft end down by one of the bellhousing bolt holes. Never had any issues.

Here are a couple more pictures. This thing works great. Please overlook my bubblegum welds.

IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg

Found an old engine stand in someone’s trash. I hacked it up and bench mounted it just, for trans duty. I need to take a couple pictures. The front plate bolts to the bell housing and the little angle iron piece catches the trans tab. That chain is for pulling the front pump. Redneck works for me on this one.

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

Last edited:
I built one using @69mayflowers as a example. Perfect height to stand and work on the trans. I even added a D ring to the top so I don't have to manhandle the trans any more. I made it so it comes apart into 3 pieces for easy storage.

DSC01866.JPG
DSC01867.JPG
DSC01868.JPG
DSC01870.JPG

DSC01865.JPG

DSC01869.JPG

Will the tail shaft clear the lower bar if you want to assemble the unit will the bell housing pointing straight up?

I see plenty of bench and engine stand adaptable holding fixtures for gm transmissions. Is there a fixture designed to hold the 727 to make rebuilding much easier?
Keeping it simple, this has worked for me for 30 years of playing with 727's. Plenty sturdy, doesn't bounce, and full rotation. The threads for the bell crank boss is 3/8-16, so more than likely the same as you have in your engine stand already. The rear is just a piece of angle.
20240813_161726.jpg
20240813_161735.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back