• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission issues

Randy73

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
I have a constant leak, look like it is coming from the front, maybe the converter, can't really see where the leak is coming from.

2 part question, maybe 3.

How much would it cost to rebuild a 73 SB 727 and what is the stock convertor, 1800-2000?

Also, anybody know how much a Keisler 4sp auto costs for a SB, I have emailed them twice and called, no response to emails and I was on permanent hold during the call, want a stage one, car will never go over 400hp ( least not planning on it) and the engine is a 340 going to go .030 over and thats it when it is rebuilt.

Is it a direct fit or do I have to shave the tunnel?

Does it seem like it leaks from one side more than the other? Maybe more from the drivers side? If so it could be the shift seal, wich is where the stem on the valve body comes thrrough the tranny case its a common thing and the seal is only a few bucks. The rebuild depends on a lot of things.

Does it seem like it leaks from one side more than the other? Maybe more from the drivers side? If so it could be the shift seal, wich is where the stem on the valve body comes thrrough the tranny case its a common thing and the seal is only a few bucks. The rebuild depends on a lot of things.

Wow, you are dead on, it does look like the drivers side is much worse.
How hard is it to replace that seal?

Can I do it with Floor jack and stands or is it better done by a shop?

That depends on your ability. Its not to bad but you need to take the crossmember down to let the trannt hang down pull the pan,and take the valve body out knock the old seal out and drive the new one in from the top.

Try taking a piece of metal 5 1/2" long plus a tab, curved in the shape off the bellhousing. Remove dust shield and clean inside with spray cleaner and compessed air and wipe clean. Fasten metal to dust shield bolt, under converter. Raise rear of car,so fluid is at front of trans, run in neutral at 2500 for 2 minutes stop and remove test strip. If fluid is on top it's leaking from converter or seal, if dry on top and wet on the bottom leaking from pump gasket. May take some manipulation so tip of strip is not touching anything.

Clearence to drive the new one is will be your biggest problem

You went right passed my ability when you said valve body. I have never messed with one, so I would be hesitant to mess with one.

you can do it

You went right passed my ability when you said valve body. I have never messed with one, so I would be hesitant to mess with one.
You can do it without taking it out it just a little more cramp with the stem in the way. Just pop off the kickdown linkage and shifter linkage pop the seal out, and lube the stem up with vasoline and the inside part of the seal also. Then slowly and carefully slide over the stem to the case and then find a socket that fits the outside metal ring on the seal and over the stem and carefully drive it in to the case.

After much deliberation, I think I am going to swap the 727 for a 518, since I plan to drive the car a lot and with gas prices going up, it will be easier on the wallet in the long run.

That's one way to eliminate that nasty leak.Let us know when one of us can take that old leaky thing off yer hands>:munky2:

there is a tool out there that removes and installs those shift seals. 10.99 saves you an OD swap.

That's one way to eliminate that nasty leak.Let us know when one of us can take that old leaky thing off yer hands>:munky2:

Well I might let you take the 727, I found a rebuilt 518 for $800, so I am planning to remove the old tranny mod the tunnel and put the 518 in afterwards.

Why not rebuild your own for 500-800(thats new converter) insead of changing trannys-I know you may save 5% for the low gear...but is it worth it

here are some pics that will allow you to mod the trans case so you do not have to mod your tunnel:

518rev1copyab.jpg

518rev3copyab.jpg

518revcopyab.jpg

or this crossmember:

crossmember.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

Why not rebuild your own for 500-800(thats new converter) insead of changing trannys-I know you may save 5% for the low gear...but is it worth it

I thought about that, but I am going to pare down my car collection and I drive 1000 miles about once a month to go to my daughters house and back.

I did the math at +4 mpg and it looks like I could save enough to pay for the swap in about 8-9 months, that is including daily driving as well.

My vette gets 28-29 mpg, but it has 190K miles and is starting to wear out, Cuda is still being restored, so that leaves restoring the vette or the charger. I have had the vette a long time and though it has been very reliable, the costs of putting it back into shape mechanically far out weighs it's value, plus the money I will save on insurance.

RaceDodge, can you tell me how much you dropped in height?

Looks like in one you dropped about 3" and about 3 1/2-4" on the other, is this correct and does this keep the angle on the driveshaft straight and true?

RaceDodge, can you tell me how much you dropped in height?

Looks like in one you dropped about 3" and about 3 1/2-4" on the other, is this correct and does this keep the angle on the driveshaft straight and true?

I have not done the swap, just saw it done, and have found pictures of it on the internet.

go to that link and it will give you ALL the information you will need. My only advisement on the trans crossmember location is to ensure you have the appropriate angle from your rear housing to ensure a good pinion angle.

Very good idea, now is the time I wish I could weld. But I have a very good idea of where to begin now and thanks everyone very much for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back