• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Suggestions for 590CI Hemi Build in a 1969 Charger RT SE

DigitalEdge

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and wanted to pose a question to those with experience in Mopar builds. I’ve recently had completed an engine build for my 1969 Dodge Charger RT SE, and I’m seeking advice on the best transmission to pair with it.

Here are the engine details:
  • 590CI KB Hemi
  • Edelbrock alloy heads with Manton tool steel roller rockers
  • CP Carrillo pistons
  • Callies crank and rods
  • Bullet roller camshaft
The car is being completely rebuilt from the ground up with a rotisserie job, and every nut and bolt has been replaced. No expense has been spared to ensure everything is top of the line. The engine is putting out 850 HP and 710 lbs of torque.

I’ve looked into options from companies like Silversport, Gear Vendors, Gearstar Performance, and others, but I’d love to get some input from people here who know Mopars well. What would you recommend as the best transmission to back up this engine, considering the power output?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Racecar? Expensive powerglide in an aftermarket case, with adapter.
Streetcar? 4L80, with adapter.
Either can easily handle twice the power you have.

A 727 transmission from A and A will handle that. Depends on what use the car will see, race or street.

I paired a 727 (reverse pattern manual VB) with a GV OD for my 65 with 750# torque. 3.55 gear.
Mike

I make more power than that with my 528" Hemi on motor and way more than that on 2 kits. I still run a good ole torqueflite with an SFI bellhousing, all the billet internals, 300M input and output shafts with a brake. Street/strip driven. With thousands of miles.

This was the best street combo Hemi I've had and I've had a bunch. 472 incher with Stage V heads etc. Mild solid cam, 3.23 in back with a 727. Way more performance than you would think and very happy on the highway. With a bunch of cubic inches you don't need more than 3 gears.

Auto? 518/46RH with an Ultrabell and a lock up torque converters
Manual 833 with a Gearvendors OD

IMO OD is needed with todays 70-80-90 MPH highway speeds

Racecar? Expensive powerglide in an aftermarket case, with adapter.
Streetcar? 4L80, with adapter.
Either can easily handle twice the power you have.
Thanks for your comment. The car will be a Street Car, not a Racing car. I realize some of the stuff I have is overkill, but I hope I can purchase the right transmission that will be top-of-the-line.

A 727 transmission from A and A will handle that. Depends on what use the car will see, race or street.
Thank you for the feedback. I have not heard of A and A, but I will share the car will be street with the option for Racing as I had a Ford 9" rear end installed.

If you wanna do it right the first time, find out what the guys that do drag and drive events with 3000 horsepower use.

Thank you for the feedback. I have not heard of A and A, but I will share the car will be street with the option for Racing as I had a Ford 9" rear end installed.
Call Rick Allison at A and A transmissions . He will build exactly what you need in a 727 trans. And don't forget, you'll need a converter to match as well, and he can provide that as well. ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back