• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tropical storm/Cat 1 hurricane Francine. I'm in the target area.

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I can't really complain, meaning that the hurricane forecast for the season had called for the most named storms in years, but it's not been bad, and nothing has hit here or Mississippi yet.
I'm also not as concerned about flooding, because the storm is coming in from the west. Winds blowing towards the northwest push water from the Gulf into Lake Pontchartrain and there's no levee or flood protection where I live and the Lake is only a couple of miles away.
Hoping all remain safe and that I don't lose electricity. They did a widespread tree branch trim back, maybe that will help.

Stay vigilant and hope all goes well for you this season @biomedtechguy :)
Thank you. Any preparation is going to be tomorrow. I have been through enough of them to know what to do. I try not to over prepare, even after going through Katrina, but to cover the basics and go from there.

Isn't south LA just about always in the target area? It's like a tornado drawn to a mobile home park!

Thank you. Any preparation is going to be tomorrow. I have been through enough of them to know what to do. I try not to over prepare, even after going through Katrina, but to cover the basics and go from there.
Same here....I'm only 9 miles inland from Galveston Bay and Beryl was worse than Ike was....only Ike lasted longer and the eye came right over my place. Ike made a bigger mess but Beryl was more scary. Damn storms.....

As long as I've lived in Louisiana, different places, where I am now is the most flood prone.

Anything along the Gulf Coast is a target area......
Looking at the Doppler radar at 3:00 Pacific time today, there looks to be a crazy amount of storm activity swirling around the gulf.

I'm located just east of the eye storm track. Unfortunately the flood surge warning has increased to 5-7 feet, and instead of the worst of it hitting in the afternoon, it's going to be at night, so that makes it hard to see water and wind effects.
I've been through worse, but by tomorrow morning the storm will have passed through.

I'm located just east of the eye storm track. Unfortunately the flood surge warning has increased to 5-7 feet, and instead of the worst of it hitting in the afternoon, it's going to be at night, so that makes it hard to see water and wind effects.
I've been through worse, but by tomorrow morning the storm will have passed through.
Well....being east of the eye is better than being on the west side of it. When Ike came through here, the eye was right over us and lasted 45 minutes!! Even at that, we were still on the dry side of it. Hope things go well for ya....

Usually the northeast quadrant is the worst in a TS/hurricane, but dry air from Texas has kept most of the rain in the northwest quadrant in Francine. The bands of counterclockwise rain shouldn't be too bad because of the relatively fast movement north.
I've been in 100% constant rain for a few hours now, and the worst of the wind, rain, and water will be at night unfortunately.
Vehicles are parked up on the garage ramp, and yesterday I picked up off ground level all I was going to. Riding it out, and hoping the power stays on, but I have the 2 gas generators up by the garage door, ready to go if need be.

Steve stay high & dry, keep them pups & other animals safe

for your sake, just a lil' flooding not effecting dwelling or property
I hope for your sake, the damage is minimal or/to none...

Stay safe my friend

Usually the northeast quadrant is the worst in a TS/hurricane, but dry air from Texas has kept most of the rain in the northwest quadrant in Francine. The bands of counterclockwise rain shouldn't be too bad because of the relatively fast movement north.
I've been in 100% constant rain for a few hours now, and the worst of the wind, rain, and water will be at night unfortunately.
Vehicles are parked up on the garage ramp, and yesterday I picked up off ground level all I was going to. Riding it out, and hoping the power stays on, but I have the 2 gas generators up by the garage door, ready to go if need be.
Don't know why I said being on the east side is better....duh.....

Should drop to TS level upon or soon after making landfall, but I'm not that far away.
Here's the current radar:
I'm the blue dot, close to the middle of the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain you can see on the map.
Eye looks like it will go over my house.
Screenshot_20240911_155950_Chrome.jpg

Should drop to TS level upon or soon after making landfall, but I'm not that far away.
I'm the blue dot, close to the middle of the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain you can see on the map.
View attachment 1725147
Dayam!!

View attachment 1725147
Damn, directly in it's path
Good luck Steve, hunker down keep the pets safe

Watching the local news.
It officially made landfall as a Cat 2. Official landfall is when the eye hits land.
Rain and wind have picked up over the last 90 minutes, but it doesn't look all that bad.
In Katrina, in my previous house, the wind was so fierce, it blew in through gaps in the sliding glass door and out over a metal door gasket at the bottom of the front door. The wind was so strong it literally turned that metal gasket into a reed, like in the mouthpiece of a musical instrument and it took me a while to figure out what was making that crazy sound!
Regardless of what follows, it looks like this one is just going to check the box for having a hurricane hit this year, and hopefully that will meet the quota.

My wife just got back from FL Gulf Coast. Plenty of rain, and winds, but the hurricanes have been absent this year. Hope it stays that way. Ride 'er out Steve !!!

Had a tornado warning, the kind that says "seek shelter now". A street 1 block away was on the map, and the radar image of rotation was directly to my east heading west. That has since passed, but the rain and wind were INTENSE.
I will check back in the morning.
Thanks for all the replies!

Auto Transport Service
Back