• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane, Cristobal comes (UPDATE-FLOODING)

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
I'm on a bayou that leads to the big lake, Lake Pontchartrain, north of New Orleans. No levees, at all where I live. When we are on the east side of a circulation, the winds blow water from the Gulf into Lake Pontchartrain, so the water comes up anyway. Add 10" of rain, and you can believe I'm going to be watching the water level closely.
I put the Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake and Holley carbs back on my Roadrunner so I can move it if need be. I was test fitting my Weiand 6bbl intake, and got some good data, like now I know for sure my current N96 hood doesn't work with the Weiand.
Anyway, God bless and protect all in the path of this storm.
Screenshot_20200606-123140_WeatherBug.jpg
Screenshot_20200606-123230_WeatherBug.jpg

Being on the right side of any low pressure system is the worst place for flooding here because it's a straight shot through the lakes between the Gulf and the bayou behind my house. The winds blowing north northwest push water straight at me.
Thanks a lot to all.
Sunday afternoon and night, I'll be on flood watch.
:thankyou::luvplace:

I remember this happening to you last year as well. Glad you got the car put back together. Be safe Bio, get to higher ground if need be.:thumbsup:

Being on the right side of any low pressure system is the worst place for flooding here because it's a straight shot through the lakes between the Gulf and the bayou behind my house. The winds blowing north northwest push water straight at me.
Thanks a lot to all.
Sunday afternoon and night, I'll be on flood watch.
:thankyou::luvplace:

Go west young man, but not too far west:D

Great - More rain in WI

Just what Lake Michigan needs along with my sump pumps

Take Care and Bee Safe

From June 1 till November 30 I cross my fingers and hope for the best then on December 1, me and several of my friends in Florida toast goodbye to hurricane season. so to all that live around the gulf and the east coast good luck my friends

Good luck and stay safe, bio. Hopefully you are able to avoid the worst of it.

So far, so good. In about 15 minutes I'm going to check the water level. It rained some early, before and right after sunrise, but right now from in the house it seems like any other day outside, with overcast skies. I'll post some pictures of the water.
During the worst hours of Katrina, in the house and area I used to live in, I heard a weird buzzing whistling sound. It was wind forcing its way through the living room sliding glass door, that had a dog door panel in it that allowed wind to "leak" through, but at over 100 mph, it was vibrating the metal door seal like a reed in a wind instrument, and that is what I was hearing!
Pix soon
Just started raining again, so pix next break in the rain. Edited for radar pic post.
Screenshot_20200607-112635_WeatherBug.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-112850_WeatherBug.jpg

Last edited:
You are in what is known as an Alluvial Plain as a result of the Mississippi River Delta and being actually below sea level. I always have enjoyed living along the Gulf Coast but man it is just too risky when it comes to these storms. Best of luck and stay safe...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Well I just went out in the back, all the way to the bayou, and I'll tell ya it's going to have to get a LOT worse to even approach what I've seen several times already.
For one thing the boat dock is completely above water level, I can see all of my grass in the yard vs it looking like a pond.
We recently cleaned up (dug out a little more) the swales (ditches) that run along the property lines on the sides of the lot, and they're draining, and that's all gravity, so the water isn't that high.
Thank God this is a weak storm, because the track is taking it straight up the Mississippi river and that is the WORST case scenario for New Orleans and where I live. My brother in law lives next door, and our parents about 20 minutes away. Their houses flooded in Katrina, and the one I'm in now too.
Where I lived for Katrina missed flooding by ¼" literally.
No pix because there's nothing picture worthy.

Well I just went out in the back, all the way to the bayou, and I'll tell ya it's going to have to get a LOT worse to even approach what I've seen several times already.
For one thing the boat dock is completely above water level, I can see all of my grass in the yard vs it looking like a pond.
We recently cleaned up (dug out a little more) the swales (ditches) that run along the property lines on the sides of the lot, and they're draining, and that's all gravity, so the water isn't that high.
Thank God this is a weak storm, because the track is taking it straight up the Mississippi river and that is the WORST case scenario for New Orleans and where I live. My brother in law lives next door, and our parents about 20 minutes away. Their houses flooded in Katrina, and the one I'm in now too.
Where I lived for Katrina missed flooding by ¼" literally.
No pix because there's nothing picture worthy.
For your & your fellow LA's sake
I hope it isn't as bad as they claim that
"it was gonna' be"....

looks also like Miss., Alabama & Georgia is getting
or will get a shitload of rain too

supposed to be a real pisser (rain event)
as it heads farther north too, up into the Midwest US
could have record rainfalls (?) for this time of season "allegedly"
according to the "weather channel", last evening
& again this morning

all they need is more flooding
especially after "all the discourse we've had" too

stay dry & safe, my friends

Auto Transport Service
Back